Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Homemade Deer Scents? >

Homemade Deer Scents?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade Deer Scents?

Old 11-01-2007, 03:49 AM

Default Homemade Deer Scents?

Does anyone out there have ideas about how to make your own synthetic deer scents? The cost of purchasing scents is beyond the reach a lot of us, so I thought it would be a good idea to come up with some home made alternatives (recipes) that we could ALL afford. I know one of the ingredients is ammonia, and I'm sure most of the others are probably simple also (some smell like they have vanilla or molasses in them). I hope this isn't "stepping on the toes" of some of you out there that make the stuff for a living, but I also know the cost to produce scents is no where near what this stuff is being sold for.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:16 AM

Default RE: Homemade Deer Scents?

Wow! I thought I'd get at LEAST a couple replies on this one. I guess I must be the very first person to think about trying to do this. ????
Old 11-02-2007, 04:24 AM
Spike

I have thought about this same topic for years. I have no Idea about how to make scents. I know that I have a whiz bottle for use on my stand. I emptied it once near where my stand was thinking I was done with the spot for the season. It was in early november. I happened thru the same area on my way to my favorite Shotgun hunting spot in the gun season and there was agiant scrape exactly where I emptied the bottle. I have always wondered about that. There were 1/2 dozen rubs within sight of the spot too. Kinda makes ya wonder. Did he smell it and react or did he just happen to put the scrape in the exact same spot.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:45 AM

I've heard a lot of other stories by hunters with simular experiences. I'm sure that the ammonia in urine is the main attractant, but it would seem like the deer - with their keen sense of smell - could tell the difference. Perhaps after a little time the human hormones evaporate and the ammonia smellremains as an attractant. I've probably spent too much time sniffing synthetic deer scents, trying to figure out the contents, but anyway ... I believe the difference in the pre-rut formulas and rut formulas is just a dillution of the ammonia levels. Some of them boast about their product, stating that it stays in the location for a long period of time. What I've noticed in relation to that claim is that it crytalizes, which is probably due to the addition of some kind of sugar or molasses added to the "formula." You can actually smell a hint of someting like vanilla or molasses in the mix.