Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys.... >

Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys....

Old 10-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys....

I was going to go to the place where I shot my first deer, this morning, but the wind shifted on me, last night. Having nowhere to go and not take a big risk.....I decided to go to the woods I have access to, but have never hunted before (I posted on this a while back). I had marked a tree that I thought would be a good observation stand with some tacks....and I found it pretty easily, this morning. 9:10......the guys are working on the houses in the development above me......and I never hear this deer come in. When I turn to see it....I see it's a small buck, but he's favoring his rear left leg. I didn't know what to do. I shot him at 10yds. He went 30 and expired. When I get down.....his rear left is broken and hanging there. He's just a youngin. I'm sick.

I know I did the right thing (in my mind)....but this season has about taken its' toll on me. He had a sweet G1 on his right side for a baby. I'd love to have seen him, next year.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:00 AM
Bartender

Default RE: Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys....

Jeff you did the right thing by putting him down. How many buck tags do you get down there?
Not that it should reflect this it was the right thing no matter what.
Yes you have been through a lot but you have our Full Support pal and get back out there now.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, you did what most of us would have done...

must been kinda tough to see. but you did the right thing..

Old 10-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Only thing is I'm a bit torn. Would he have been OK? His leg is clearly broken...but I know they survive with that injury all the time. Can't speak for the quality of life, though.

It is what it is. He's dead. I've got some work to do.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

once you get the skin off(if you havent yet) you will see the damage that you cannot see from the outside.

its tough to say, but like you said...how much pain was he in? what if he didnt make it?? what if infection set in?? what if he bled to death? what if he made an easy meal for yotes??

yep, buddy...you did good.

was it a car accident??
Old 10-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Dude this has been one heck ofa rough season for you. Yeah you did the right thing. Good meat and he doesnt have to suffer.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

pics?

No doubt Jeff, you have really seen lately how cruel nature can be. Keep you head up buddy, and keep on hunting.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

You did the right thing ethicly Jeff! During or after gun season in my area i usually see 2 to 3 deer the gunners screwed up on and i try my best to take one of them with the bowinstead of a non wounded deer, it kinda sucks when i can only get one tag here but like i said its the ethicly thing to do! I say good job on your part!
Old 10-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Bartender

You just reminded me of something that happened in 1984. Back then when you deer hunted you had to have a hunter choice permit or you could only shoot a buck here in Wi. Well we were doing a deer drive and a Doe came out and you clearly tell she had been shot in the mouth. I did not have a hunters choice permit and the hunting party told me to shoot only a big doe. This was not a very big doe but after the drive was complete my father told me I probably should of shot her. Which now I totally agree but back then I was more about safety and following the game rules and did not know any better at the age of 18. So many things crossed my mind at that moment and actually froze up. Still kind of haunts me to this day.

Quick Reply: Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.