Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Public land hunters in Wisconsin >

Public land hunters in Wisconsin

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Public land hunters in Wisconsin

Old 10-19-2007, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Public land hunters in Wisconsin

It's easy to see it from all sides really. I know I for one may be part of the problem, let me explain. We have less "deer" woods now than we used to around the normal residential places. If we all(myself included), want to buy some land and build a house where woods used to be, well, there's that much less land for the deer to live. This makes those deer cross busy(busier than ever) streets and get killed which drives our insurance rates up and up. So we have a group of people (DNR), that really do have a tough job trying to figure out where all the deer are, how many deer there are, and wht the manageable numbers "should" be. I'm sure if there were 10000 more paid DNR employees per state and they were able to go out on every piece of land out there, they would get a better idea of how many deer are in each area and give a closer guesstimate on harvest rates per unit. We would also need to have about 2500 different smaller "units" so it would be divided better. That would make our little regulations book pretty darn hard to figure out where the boundries are if given that many units don't you think? Not to mention how expensive our tags would be to pay for these added DNR folks. Now I'm not saying every DNR employee is best of the best, but most are stand up guys and girls that also hunt and fish just like we do. Sure there are bad apples around, but that is with any job. I'm not saying I agree with everything they do, but the ONLY way to get them to see your views and opinions is for you to talk with them. Stop by a local DNR station and talk, go to lunch with them, find out ALL the facts. Join groups like Ducks Unlimited, Whitetails unlimited, Wisconsin Bowhunters Association. Please get involved or we have nothing to complain about.
Sorry about the book.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:35 AM

Nicely stated dandbuck!

The DNR is trying to do their job, but it seems or gov is tying their hands...Our DNR has also admitted that the deer herd is the same if not larger than ever! They are failing in all attempts at eliminated CWD from the herd as well! It's time us hunters took control and got ahold of our reps and got involved!!
Old 10-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Spike

I see all your points dandbuck and agree. But its almost to the point now were you need to buy land yourself so you can manage it youself. Ijust understand what all the people go through like needing to walk 45min to an hour back in the woods to see deer, i did this my whole life and always saw deer but now there is just less and less every year. I just sucks that people like my father who never had the money to own there own land will have to see this happen unless someind gets proposed. One person wont get it done. This is why i was asking if other are seeing this same problem.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

ebieszk
Where are you by the way? I live in Rapids, but hunt in Rapids and up north in Onieda county forest prop.
Good Luck
Old 10-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Spike

Marathon