Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What about forks and 6pt's >

What about forks and 6pt's

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What about forks and 6pt's

Old 10-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What about forks and 6pt's

Just a question for the QDM guys.. If the answer is to never shoot a BB under any circumstances does that carry over to not shooting spikes, forks, 6's and small 8's.
I won't shoot buttons but I gotta say I would pop a 6pt. Would there have been any difference in shooting that deer when it was a yearling with nubs??
Just curious if the goal is to let all bucks mature and at what point they become fair game?? If your not gonna carry QDM all the way in your search for bucks ar least 4.5 yrsare there any benefits.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What about forks and 6pt's

I watched a 6pt walk out on me last night. He was legal but I didn't even try for him. Actually I tried to get a pic of him instead. This is how I practice QDM on public land!This park (1200 acres) is bowhunting only, and gets what I would consider, light pressure. So the way I see it, I'm helping the local herd gain better age structure. I can't see shooting a buck that is smaller than one you've already killed. You may as well shoot a doe, the way I see it. To each, his own.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I would think ......if QDM were to be consistent.....that there would be an instance where taking smaller bucks would be acceptable ....and even desireable. If your herd buck:dpe ratio is NOT in synch....then the general consensus is to take animals representative of all age groups (when it's does we're talking about). WHy would it be any different if you had a surplus of bucks?

I don't know....I'm asking.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:45 AM

Well the point is your taking a deer out of the herd that could mea monster, it does not matter what stage of his life you take him.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

QDM's not about growing monsters, Jim......or is it?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:54 AM

Well It is isnt, thats the point right, why let em grow if you dont want them to be monsters, Taking does to make the ratio better is for Deer management, Letting bucks go is for QDM. Right i could be wrong this is what i thought QDM was, Please correct my thinking Gammat.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm not correcting you, Jim.....lol. I just think a lot of people who preach QDM say it isn't about the antlers.....but I think, deep down, it is (to many of those who preach the ideology of QDM).
Old 10-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to say I have always thought the goal ofQDM was to raise mature bucks to harvest. It never occured to me that you might just be looking for a well balanced herd.
It just seems to stand to reason that if you would be unwilling to shoot a BB than anything less than a mature deer would defeat the purpose. I would think a young small racked buck would stand a better chance of reaching maturity than a BB.
Early.. I really admire your QDM practices on public land and think your priorities are commendable..I should follow suit.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Planter. I could see how this thinking might not work on some State Game Lands or State Forest land, where gun hunting is permitted. A lot of guys shoot the first "legal" buck they see on these lands, which is fine, but that's why there aren't many BIG bucks around.Like I said, I'll keep letting the small ones walk because it helps where I hunt.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:27 AM

Wow that is really great early in. In the state park i hunt we get alot of city people that shoot anything thats brown.

Quick Reply: What about forks and 6pt's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.