Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 1st hunt checklist >

1st hunt checklist

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1st hunt checklist

Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 AM

Default 1st hunt checklist

As I sit here, not working, planning my first hunt, here is what I envision wearing/bringing. Any feedback will be appreciated.

After showering with scent free soap and shampoo, and assuming temps between a low of 48 and high of mid 60's:

CLOTHES

[ul][*]waterproof boots (mine aren't camo but dark brown, shouldn't matter...right?)[*]under armour "leggings" thingys (to keep me warm and dry, not for cross-dressing)[*]camo pants[*]camo under armour long sleeve tee shirt[*]camo fleece or jacket, depending on morning weather[*]camo fleece balaclava (face mask, whatever u call it)[*]camo gloves[*]hunter orange baseball hat and vest (to wear in and out of the woods)[/ul]

BACKPACK

[ul][*]field dressing stuff (knives, rope, gloves, paper towels, etc...)[*]snacks (already taken out of their noisy wrappers and such, kept in ziplock bags which I can reuse later for dirty paper towels, heart/liver, etc...)[*]water[*]tree stand safety harness[*]binoculars[*]flashlite[*]compass[*]camera[*]latest copy of hunting magazine which I hope to be on the cover as 'rookie of the year'
[/ul]
BOW

[ul][*]sweet Parker Buck Hunter XP with shiny new broadheads just begging for a double lung shot[/ul]
Old 10-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 1st hunt checklist

calls (grunt, rattle horns)
windicator.
extra scent spray or lure.
watch
Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

How far in are you going (i.e. do you really need to take a backpack, knife, compass, camera, etc)? I am just a light packer I guess. I try to take as little as possible. Whatever you take with you, good luck and I hope you enjoy yourself.

Also, don't forget your release and arm guard.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Toilet paper
extra batteries for flashlight.
Cell Phone in case of emergency
Bow holder for while in stand
Release (probably with your bow but check before you leave)
Hunting license.
Good attitude and patience

Some of these things are "Of course, I knew that" items but some of us forget, especially since it is your first hunt.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

range finder, marking tape in case you have to trail a deer any type of distance.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

diapers.....
Old 10-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're planning on hunting in the afternoon, you may want to put a coleman lantern in your truck in case you have to follow a blood trail after dark. If the mosquitoes are still out a thermacell would be good to have too. A spare release is good to have. If you drop one, it will save you from having to climb back down...
Old 10-12-2007, 01:53 PM

all great ideas fellas, thanks again from a rookie!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Something I picked up in another thread on this site - a small spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide. If the blood trail gets thin, or if it starts getting dark, you spray the hydrogen peroxide and even the smallest blood spot will foam... not that you'll be spraying the entire forest, but it can come in handy when/if the blood trail starts to peter out. Keep in mind, hydrogen peroxide decays when exposed to light, so use an opaque spary bottle if possible.

TP makes for a good marking tape as well, since it is rather quickly biodegradeable.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only thing I saw missing was a gear rope or reel (especially if using a climber). API makes a good one I use.

Don't forget your license, its sometimes easy to forget when your focused on gear.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1st hunt checklist

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.