Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Baiting deer

Old 09-26-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Baiting deer

A buddy of mine and I got into a discussion about baiting deer. He made two points and I wanted to see what ya'lls opinion on the issue was.

1. What is the diffrence in hunting a feeder and hunting a food plot or watering hole?

2. If it legal to bait game fish then why do some states make it illegal to bait game animals? What is the diffrence?[/align]
Old 09-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Baiting deer

Here we go again!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, if baiting was legal here, it would be called "deer picking", NOT deer hunting. I believe it is for wildlife management.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

I am not guna touch the feeder vs plot question but as for the baiting Q, here in WI we are fighting CWD. CWD can be easily transmitted through saliva transfers. So if you have a mineral lick or alot of deer coming to one feeder, the chance of CWD tranmitance is raised consiterably. All you need is one sick deer and soon half the areas herd is sick. Not good, not good at all.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: phil_pick

I am not guna touch the feeder vs plot question but as for the baiting Q, here in WI we are fighting CWD. CWD can be easily transmitted through saliva transfers. So if you have a mineral lick or alot of deer coming to one feeder, the chance of CWD tranmitance is raised consiterably. All you need is one sick deer and soon half the areas herd is sick. Not good, not good at all.
Thats what they are trying to do in VA prevent CWD to this state, but we can bait from january to september, that dont make any sense to me but i dont complain, it gives me chance to see whats in the area on my cam.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:08 PM

Anyone who thinks you can throw out a pile of corn and kill monster bucks off it has never tried it. Sure, once in a while, like any other type of hunting, one stumbles by, but by and large it will be does, yearlings and young bucks. Once they learn there may be danger lurking in the tree by the corn pile even the does will be ultra cautious and many won't visit it in daylight.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

i do not have a proplem with baiting if your primarly doing it tofeedthe deer i putout 100 pounds of corn a week when i was in ky they ate ever bit to i seen 18 deer around it at one time alot of shooter does a few nice buck and a lot of button buck and fawns

if it was being at alot at night there most have been another 18 more deer there at night 50 pounds every three days they even dug a hole to the point i had to move over to keep it from siting in water

i did this because the first year i was there i had no way to put in a food plot and there was little food in the area to rough

and i put it out two bags every week all year i did not start two months before season then stop after all year and i could see them getting big

hunting a food plot is way differnt from hunting a feeder imo

it is not legel here in indiana tobait fish ie chumiam sure but not 100%on that if you are going to put out feeders do it all year and get on that sprays corn between sunrise and a few hours before sun setgood luck and check you local laws before feedingnon olanted food sources ie corn salt lick
Old 09-27-2007, 05:35 PM

bump
Old 09-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am sorry i should have used the pm to send the messagenot just open a post. I was not trying to breck out the lech mob lol sorry again. And i can understand if you miss read it no proplem
Old 09-27-2007, 05:47 PM

Lets be honest guys, feeding is cheating. If you have to wait over a pile of bait to shoot a deer your not a real hunter. Why some states legalize it is beyond me, the only reason I can think it would be legal is if there is an overpopulation of deer. Anyone can put grain out for a couple of weeks before opening day and shoot a deer; not everyone can go into the woods find a good spot and shoot one. As for food plots most are not designed to be hunted over but rather to provide healthy food for the deer during long tough winters and in some cases to promote antler growth. Hunting over a natural food source is a perfectly acceptable way to hunt in my book, those of you who can tell the difference between a white oak acorn and a red oak acorn will know what i'm talking about. PS deer prefer white oak acorns

Quick Reply: Baiting deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.