Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Prairie Bow Hunting >

Prairie Bow Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Prairie Bow Hunting

Old 09-21-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Prairie Bow Hunting

What kind of strategies would you suggest for hunting wide open spaces for deer?

I'm not archery hunting this year, but my uncle is for the first time and is wanting me to give him some advice. I really can't give him a whole lot as I've never had a very successful deer hunt.

A lot of the areas he hunts are wide open spaces. I've hunted a few of the places he has. Best advice I had for him was to walk up a dry creek bed that is on this property till he get somewhat close and by dumb luck one may come his way. Unfortunately we've been draughting hard for several years so the alphalfa patch I told him to hunt on this property is gone and all the bull reeds have been eaten away from the dry creek, so there isn't much cover there either.

Later in the year we have some better property for him to hunt once the deer move into it when it gets colder. Lot more areas that are easier to stalk.

I'm guessing the best solution would be to try and put a blind near a watering hole similar to hunting speed goats.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:05 PM

Default RE: Prairie Bow Hunting

i would simply spot and stalk thats really your only option