Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Archer in need of help >

New Archer in need of help

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Archer in need of help

Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 PM

Default New Archer in need of help

I'm pretty new tohunting, having only hunted the past two seasons, and only with a rifle. Now, my buddy just upgraded and bought a new bow and ended up generously giving me his old one. It a Jennings Buck Master and looks to have been through quite a few seasons. I went ahead and bought all new accessories (sight, fall away rest, stabilizer, etc.) but I need to get the draw weight and length set. I'm going to take it to a archery shop here and was wondering about how much I can expect to spend? I don't know a whole lot about this stuff and can't afford to spend a fortune since I've got a new "huntin' buddy" on the way and due on Nov. Also, I've been told the if I have to get the draw length shortened I will have to have it re-strung, is that true? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

DP
Old 09-20-2007, 08:24 PM

Default RE: New Archer in need of help

Our shop would charge $25/hour to work on it.....Shouldn't take more than half an hour or so.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not much time left to practice for a novice hunter. you owe it to the deer to get proficient before you attempt a shot
Old 09-20-2007, 11:02 PM

shouldnt cost much,where im from they dont even charge for those things
Old 09-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would get the bow set up and start shooting as much as possible. Get some good groups going on and you might be confident enough to hunt the late season if your state has one! Just keep practicing every day even when you are able to hunt ! At least you have some time under your belt hunting with a bow in hand! Remember, practice, practice, practice!!!!!!!!!!