HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   PA Early doe season rant (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/206981-pa-early-doe-season-rant.html)

FOP23 09-14-2007 09:46 AM

PA Early doe season rant

As tomorrow marks the opener of PA early doe season in certain urban areas, I wanted to voice some concerns for those of us who hunt land bordering these areas. Please feel free to respond with pros or cons. In recent years, Pennsylvania has instituted several programs to increase the doe harvest. They have an early muzzeloader season, a youth rifle season, and nowa two (2) week early archery season for the urban areas around Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. I did not apply for a doe tag for these areas, but I routinely hunt the management areas surrounding the Pittsburgh area (i.e. 2C and 2A). I must agree that the current management practices of the game commission have shown proven results, however I also believe that the early seasons will educate the mature bucks thus turning them nocturnal weeks earlier. As for the less than ethical hunters, during the early doe seasons will a large framed ten point get to walk? Please weigh in with opinions. Also I received this pic, a road kill in SW PA.

Killer_Primate 09-14-2007 09:52 AM

RE: PA Early doe season rant

Gonna have to hunt the rut hard. And perhaps get out of the tree and do some walking.
Good luck,
KP

davidmil 09-14-2007 09:54 AM

Well the good thing is it's for bowhunters. Bowhunters as a whole tend to be less intrusive in their trips afield. The deer will probably still stick pretty much to their early fall routines. Right now the bucks are getting less visible than they were in the summer feeding routines anyway. It happens every year at this time. I really wouldn't worry about it too much. It's something you have to put up with. Gun hunters will tell you the bowhunters shoot all the big bucks and get them all stirred up. Everyone has their points. You just got to go on and hunt. It's suppose to be fun... not easy.

snake123 09-14-2007 09:54 AM

I have to say that I disagree with the early season as well. To me, many of the changes were to benefit the youth hunters. Which is all well and good. I understand that allowing the youth the opportunity to take game at an early season will promote the harvest of does and also welcome some less than eager kids into the sport. However, I feel that the majority of the regulations are just going to teach the kids to kill and not hunt.

foxfire66 09-14-2007 10:07 AM

I was at my local bow shop the other night and one of my friends showed me that same picture on his phone and i was told that was one of the deer found dead from the recent EHD outbreak. Pa game commision says they have found over 1000 deer dead from beaver, greene and washington countys. I hate to see this.

rybohunter 09-14-2007 12:01 PM

I'll be out trying to shoot several does over this time. Heck If I run out I'll buy more at the courthouse. The areas the season is open to, need it done. THe bucks area already nocturnal and as long as you aren't busting thru thier core bedding areas, you aren't going to lesson your chances when the real season starts. Pa hunters always look for the bad in every new rule, rather than just being thankful for additional opportunities to do what we supposedly love to do.

chucker34 09-14-2007 01:19 PM

It will educate some bucks. But I agree with Davidmil. Beware of what you wish for or it just might come true, for bowhunters too. I think its Wisconsin,if I read right,that's surveying gun hunters on if they think bowhunters pressure deer too much and reduce their chances. Wonder how that survey will turn out and what the results might lead to.

Pops423 09-14-2007 01:43 PM

I won't be out until the regular season starts but I understand your concern.

So any additional details on where this roadkill was from?

FOP23 09-15-2007 09:01 AM

Waynesburg

ijimmy 09-15-2007 11:12 AM

The problem is the early muzzle doe season , some not all , of the early muzzle guys get the game all spooked up during what should be archery season.

Most states Go from archery , to crossbow , to muzzle , to gun ., Having firesticks right in the middle of archery season makes no sense .

Ive been hunting 2 b for the last 12 years , the antler restrictions are great from my perspective as I see more bucks and bigger bucks , but the numerous does I used to see during archery season go underground now as people are throwing lead at them during what should be archery season , Fall turkey mixed in does not help either , but I don't see many turkey hunters in the fall .