HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How to Handle Trespassers? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/204705-how-handle-trespassers.html)

wvubowhunter 08-29-2007 07:57 AM

How to Handle Trespassers?

I was just wondering what you would do if you went to call the warden/county police on a trespasser and they took off. Is there anything a landowner can do to keep them there while the warden/police show up?

Red Lion 08-29-2007 07:58 AM

RE: How to Handle Trespassers?

I would not try to keep a trespasser on your property, as you never know how they will reacte, such as violently or weapon?

Jim_IV 08-29-2007 08:03 AM

The best thing for you to do is get a description and a license plate number if you can't hold them there.

wvubowhunter 08-29-2007 08:07 AM

That was what I was kind of afraid of is how they would react. Will the warden/police track them down if I am able to give them enough information?

Virginia Mike 08-29-2007 08:44 AM

I always have a digital camera or a video camera with me. I just walk up and take a picture first thing and then call the warden. Or if I am walking in and see a truck or vehicle, I take a pic of the vehicle and the license plate. Hard to argue with that kind of evidence.

Javabird17 08-29-2007 09:40 AM

** Go up to them.. talk to them.. get the license number, date , place , time and name.. and PROSECUTE.. only way they will never come back...

** my other half has been through this several times.. He took the "nice" route first.. and they all snuck back in ...

So, the next time he did it the "law" way.

First year at the property he took 17 poeple off...

BigTiny 08-29-2007 10:41 AM

If they are driving onto your property, you could wait until they leave the truck and take out their valve stems on their tires with a valve stem wrench. That would give local authority time to arrive and possibly impound the truck. That way you don't damage their property and they cannot deny trespassing.

twildasin 08-29-2007 10:44 AM

Act like a mad man fire your 45 up in the air like 5 times start screaming at them and tell them they dont want to move or it could get ugly! Then if they have the balls to move well try to get there license plate if you did not already. Or tell them you already got it and if they run it will be worse.

txjourneyman 08-29-2007 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: twildasin

Act like a mad man fire your 45 up in the air like 5 times start screaming at them and tell them they dont want to move or it could get ugly! Then if they have the balls to move well try to get there license plate if you did not already. Or tell them you already got it and if they run it will be worse.
And then take cover because when you start shooting into the air they may very well start shooting at you. Live to hunt another day, let the authorities deal with them. Remember what happened in WI. a couple of years ago regarding a trespasser.

Vulture6 08-29-2007 02:39 PM

The issue I run into is that they deliberately tear down the posted signs, leave trash in the woods, and will take any shot available -- I find a lot of deer two or three weeks dead - obviously wounded.

The sheriff has trouble getting to my land, since the only road in is through the national park (you have to park in the park and walk in). Poachers come in from a different way.