Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to Handle Trespassers? >

How to Handle Trespassers?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to Handle Trespassers?

Old 08-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How to Handle Trespassers?

We just let the dogs out! It works.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:33 PM

Wolf651 wrote:you must be one of those a**hole that owns land and think you are the almighty god of the land.
I am sure the other guy was joking but I'm not. Hate to burst your bubble but as a landowner we are the "god" (your word)of our land! We scrimp and save and go without so we can purchase our own land. The land belongs tothe person that bought it not someone who wants to not purchase their own and "steal" the land. Yes, if someone trespasses they are in essence stealing the right to utilize land without purchasing it themselves.Buy your own land!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

that is what i was going to say!!
ORIGINAL: bigjim12

The best thing for you to do is get a description and a license plate number if you can't hold them there.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:30 PM

My best recommendation is to have the local Sheriff or Game Wardon on your cell phone before that situation comes up. Now when it does, before
you approach them, call one of them and get them on thier way. Wait as long as you can to approach them. If you know the Sheriff is on his way and they seem to be leaving just walk up and start a conversation. This will give the Sheriff time to get there. Let the law handle the situation. Don't get caught in a gun fight your not ready to finish.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TimberCreek

Wolf651 wrote:you must be one of those edited for skirting profanity filter that owns land and think you are the almighty god of the land.
I am sure the other guy was joking but I'm not. Hate to burst your bubble but as a landowner we are the "god" (your word)of our land! We scrimp and save and go without so we can purchase our own land. The land belongs tothe person that bought it not someone who wants to not purchase their own and "steal" the land. Yes, if someone trespasses they are in essence stealing the right to utilize land without purchasing it themselves.Buy your own land!
So are you saying that being the owner of a piece of land means you have the right to shoot somebody or threating to shoot them because they are stealing your land. I don't get why people are going out of control when someone accidently goes into your land. I do get it when they tresspass there more then once but when you have only seen them once and had to get all hyped up about someone stepping on your land. I think we as land owner need to realize that if we treat them(tresspassers) like edited for skirting profanity filter, don't expect them to just back down and walk away.I own over 100 acres of lands and never once feel like the mighty god of the land and treat people like sh*t when they step on my land. Like my father always said "you treatothers like edited for skirting profanity filter, they will treat you like one too".
Old 08-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

wolf he was just joking and wasn/t serious but if some one intentionly walks onto your land youdon't just sit there and let them shoot everything
do you? i didn't think so i'm sure that you tell them to get off your land and to not come back or thewarden/sheriff will be called right and yes as a matter of fact we are the "almighty god of the land" that piece of paper called a deed gives us that power and we also get the right to weild it.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wolf651

ORIGINAL: TimberCreek

Wolf651 wrote:you must be one of those a**hole that owns land and think you are the almighty god of the land.
So are you saying that being the owner of a piece of land means you have the right to shoot somebody or threating to shoot them because they are stealing your land. I don't get why people are going out of control when someone accidently goes into your land. I do get it when they tresspass there more then once but when you have only seen them once and had to get all hyped up about someone stepping on your land. I think we as land owner need to realize that if we treat them(tresspassers) like sh*it, don't expect them to just back down and walk away.I own over 100 acres of lands and never once feel like the mighty god of the land and treat people like sh*t when they step on my land. Like my father always said "you treatothers like sh*t, they will treat you like one too".

Well said wolf. I have 28 acres that borders the kootenia national forest thats about 3 miles up a forestry road from pavement and 75 miles fromthe nearesttraffic light. My property is not fenced,but if someone were to hunt out of one of my corner treestands with out me knowing it, I would confront him. I wouldn't mind him hunting it, but as long as he had the respect to ask me for permission. It would take forever for law enforcement to show up so I would just confront the individual. Things are just different here than where your are, but here its not that big of a problem wherewe are,.....or not yet.

Bobby

Old 08-31-2007, 03:52 AM
Typical Buck

Blookcreek....I will be trespassing on you this year while you are at work. haha
Old 08-31-2007, 06:18 AM

Im a Deputy Sheriff in the state of Missouri and deal with this issue constantly. If you feel comfortable, approach the person and explain that they are trespassing. If you dont feel comfortable, get a vehicle description and license plate number and call the police. In my state, your property needs to be marked properly to show your lines either with private property signs or purple paint on the trees. If your property is marked properly, the offense is a misdemeanor. If your property is not marked, it is an infraction. Research your state laws to see what you need to do. (Ourprosecutors usually dont file charges on trespassing infractions) Just remember that the more meat you have to pursue charges, the easier it will be for the police and the prosecutor.If charges are repeatedly filed and nothing is being done to the suspects, contact the prosecutor and ask them why they are not helping you. If the prosecutor is an elected offficial,one complaint may be allit takesto get the help you need.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

I would like to think that no one here would shoot at anyone else - been there / done that for Uncle Sam and it isn't something worth bringing back home.

I can understand people accidently crossing onto the land (though my land is VERY clearly posted), and I have no problem with folks tracking a wounded animal onto my land (in VA, you are supposed to have permission even to track a wounded animal).

That being said, here are the most common trespassers I have to deal with:

1. Those who are hunting on the national park an cross on to my land. Of course, hunting on the national park is illegal in and of itself - so these guys obviously don't care about "legalities". They don't wear orange since they are knowingly engaging in illegal activity. (I have the law enforcement division of the park service on speed dial on my cell phone).

2. Those that "walk the river". One boundry on my land is a river. The deed grants me ownership to the far bank, but people will park at one bridge about two miles upstream and walk the river bank to the downstream bridge about 5 miles away. The bank on my side is flood plain - the other side is bluff. Generally, I've never had a problem with these guys. I have posted signs along the river bank, but I also have them along the edge of the flood plain where the ground rises. Most of these folks pass right through, only on the flood plain.

3. Those that think that it is down right wrong for me to post this land. They come in through the river and tear down the posted signs, leave trash, and generally empty the magazine when they see a deer (seven shots in rapid succession during muzzleloader season?!?!).

4. Those that aren't deer hunting. This land borders on a Civil War battlefield - so relic poachers are unfortunately common. My favorites are the guys with the metal detectors who are decked out in full camo in the middle of deer season. Especially the one jerk who had a white disk on his metal detector.

I post with signs and paint (as allowed in VA) - I do both since some of these guys like to try and "remove the evidence". Again, we're far enough from the roads that it is tough to get the sheriff there in time - and even tougher for me to tie a certain individual to a specific vehicle. This year, however, we're repositioning some of the game trail cameras.

Quick Reply: How to Handle Trespassers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.