Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tricks that you use when "field judging" whitetail antlers? >

Tricks that you use when "field judging" whitetail antlers?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tricks that you use when "field judging" whitetail antlers?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tricks that you use when field judging whitetails?

This is a great thread, thought I would bring it back
Old 07-28-2008, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

Hey buckeyeboy
Hate to break the news to ya but the eyes and ears are the same size from the they'er born , there snout , head , body and everthing else will continue to grow.
Nope, wrong. Fawns are tiny. Their eyes snouts and ears. I have seen both up close and personal. He is correct with his original post of sizes of a mature whitetail.

I am sure someone will post pictures.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

17" to 19" total on just tine length on one side is usually a P&Y buck (125") or very close to it.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't say I actually have any specific formula, I suppose, I usually look at their mass and spread right from the get go, and start guestimating. Throw a NT at me, and I'm lost, but with typicals, I usually guestimate the length of ONLY the shorter tine and multiply by 2, guestimate length of shorter beam, multiply by 2, decent mass, 4.5" x2, 4" x 2, etc, but my guestimates are usually gonna be net score, not gross, mostly because I'm too lazy to have odd numbers rolling around between my 4-5 brain cells.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can't say I even consider a eyeball. I can see though if your are useing a ruler on trail cam pics it would come in handy. I don't use trail cams. I know one thing for sure. I have been glassing one this summer that looks like hes has got night sticks for tines.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Can't say I even consider a eyeball. I can see though if your are useing a ruler on trail cam pics it would come in handy. I don't use trail cams. I know one thing for sure. I have been glassing one this summer that looks like hes has got night sticks for tines.
Take a picture of him for us! Sounds likea brute.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

4 - 11 - 7 I read recently about quick field scoring and a guy said that if one G1 = 4", G2 = 11" and G3 =7" then he'll be close to 135.

It's pretty easy to remember and I've tested it on some mounts with known scores and it's pretty close.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sooner State Hunter

4 - 11 - 7 I read recently about quick field scoring and a guy said that if one G1 = 4", G2 = 11" and G3 =7" then he'll be close to 135.

It's pretty easy to remember and I've tested it on some mounts with known scores and it's pretty close.
Right on Sooner. It really doesn't matter how you get your 22" on tine length as long as there typical points and not abnormal points. Its quick and easy scoring!!

17" to 19" total on just tine length on one side is usually a P&Y buck (125") or very close to it.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Right on Sooner. It really doesn't matter how you get your 22" on tine length as long as there typical points and not abnormal points. Its quick and easy scoring!!

Now if I could just put that knowledge to use this year ...
Old 07-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Now if I could just put that knowledge to use this year ...
Easier said then done, I know. I hope your able to!

Quick Reply: Tricks that you use when "field judging" whitetail antlers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.