Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cabelas... hunting gear in general.... random complaining >

Cabelas... hunting gear in general.... random complaining

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cabelas... hunting gear in general.... random complaining

Old 08-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Cabelas... hunting gear in general.... random complaining

So yesterday, I had some free time and went to Cabela's. They're having their annual "tent sale" so I thought I'd ride down and see what they had.

First off - I went in to try on some camo (wanted to buy a set of lightweight scent lok in Predator Deception camo) - of course, they didn't have it in stock.

This will undoubtedly result in me ordering said camo, trying it on, hating it, and then having to drive down there and return it.

So, while I was there, I did try on about 300 sets of camo, just to see if there were anysets that I really liked.I hated all 300 sets. Apparently, I'm really finicky about hunting clothes. It seems like everything you try on either "crinkles" likeyou're wearing aplastic Walmart bag, or feels like you're this guy:

Did notice that Under Armour has entered the hunting clothing market, but I wasn't too nuts about their stuff either.

Also wanted to have a look at their spotting scopes (which were all over-priced). And I wanted a big bag of rayzr feathers - which they didn't have either. Nice!

The guy at the optics counter didn't seem to know much about optics, which wasn't good. I left there scratching my head, wondering how that guy managed to get through one day at work - knowing basically nothing about what he's peddling...

Tent Sale: Sucks. Everything in there is still priced above the actual market price. People just buy it b/c they think they're getting a good deal. It's all sold "as-is" with no returns, which is a total rip-off. That's fine for clothes, but they also had a lot of customer returns of items that were likely broken, missing pieces, etc. (also horribly over-priced for non-returnable customer returns). Seriously, what kind of idiot would buy a customer-returned set of Motorola's for 15% off regular price when the tag says "Doesn't Work" on the packaging?

Pop Guns: The whole place is filled with tourists who have no real intent of buying anything (like me). The thing is, they bring their kids, who invariably find these huge bins of "pop guns" (pictured below). One kid hears another kid with one, and he has to have one of his own - Monkey See, Monkey Do.

They parentshave no actual intent of buying the toys, but the nonstop "popping" seems to pacify the rugrats while Dad shops, so they parade around the store popping those things like John Wayne. I swear I'm gonna hear that popping sound in my sleep for the next three weeks. God bless those people that work there. I'd snap. No doubt in my mind.

One good thing about Cabela's is their exceptional staff:they had a hot blondeworking the bargain cave counter, and anice brunette working the camo section (both WVU undergrads). So, that made the shopping experience a lot more pleasurable. If it wasn't for getting to schmooze with those two, I'd have probably not had a very enjoyable experience.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cabelas... hunting gear in general.... random complaining

Along those same lines, I went to Gander Mountain yesterday to buy some Easton A/C/C's. They didn't have the size I needed so I asked the guy if they had any more in the back or anything. He proceded to tell me that A/C/C's are a competition target arrow and they are a hunting store and so they don't stock them.

It is always nice to touch base with a real expert like that once in a while[:-]
Old 08-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

One good thing about Cabela's is their exceptional staff:they had a hot blondeworking the bargain cave counter, and anice brunette working the camo section (both WVU undergrads). So, that made the shopping experience a lot more pleasurable.
Will then thats it. Now I know where to shop.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you think they're ignorant now try buying traditional bowhunting gear from them. Talk about head scratching.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

you want to complain about that, go to bass pro. i would much rather go to cabelas
Old 08-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

They parentshave no actual intent of buying the toys, but the nonstop "popping" seems to pacify the rugrats while Dad shops, so they parade around the store popping those things like John Wayne. I swear I'm gonna hear that popping sound in my sleep for the next three weeks. God bless those people that work there. I'd snap. No doubt in my mind.

Hahah i know EXACTLY what your talking about! I hate those darn things!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Quick when I quit I wrote a huge long letter to D!ck and Rich Cabela. I complained about those damn pop guns[:@] When I worked there I used to take them away from the brats. I offered to buy them for parents who just let kids run wild. I can tell you the profit they make on them is staggering[:-] So even if you complain they will not listen.

Mike Boldrick is the Regional Manager for your area. Call the store and ask for him. Tell him Gary said the pop guns suck
Old 08-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Cabelas recently opened a store here in Glendale, Arizona and it is a sight to see. However, as you were saying some of their sale associates don't have a clue about what they are selling. I was there a couple of weeks ago looking for some broadheads. I was in the Archery Department and happened to overhear a gentleman asking the young lady working therea lot of questions about bows and archery. He was wanting to buy a complete package, bow, arrows, site, rest, quiver, release and anything else she would recommend. He asked some relevant questions and I was shocked by her answers. She actually told him that the IBO rating on a bow he was looking at didn't mean a thing. It was for target archers and didn't apply to hunters. She went in the back to get something and I told the man, even though this is none of my business, this lady knows nothing about archery. I suggested that he go to one of the local pro shops to get his draw length measured and some advice from people that actually know archery. My biggest fear was that he would purchase equipment that was not suited to his needs and probably not shoot well. When that happens people think they cannot shoot well and give up archery for good. I don't know what he ended up doing but I was really disappointed with the lack of knowledge by the sales person.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I heard from many people for a few years about the great sidewalk sale. I went and seen crap with high prices so I went in to the store and bought the same stuff cheaper than they had out in the sidewalk sale. They had used waders with holes that they wanted 15% off normal price for. What the heck is wrong with them.
I usually buy stuff from the bargin cave.

I just bought a hunting blind and they said they would send it up front for me to pick up. I get up there and pay for it and the box is trashed all to He!! and looks like it should have been in the bargin cave.

I now buy most everything I can from a family friend that sales archery hunting supplies in his gas station/conviunience store. He has the best prices on everything I have ordered to date. My mom works for him so I just have her pick it up and when I get back up to visit I pick it up.

Cabelas makes me upset.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Wait til you go to a Bass Pro Shops. I may be done with them. The prices are way over priced and the workers not too friendly. Paying $1.79 for a 10 pack of bullet weights is not any kind of deal. I'll trade you BPS for Cabelas...

Quick Reply: Cabelas... hunting gear in general.... random complaining

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.