Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 tuning broadheads? >

tuning broadheads?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tuning broadheads?

Old 07-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default tuning broadheads?

ok, ive posted this in a couple other forums here and Im trying to get all the info. what exactly is broadhead tuning and how do I do it? Im trying to get optimal performance out of my equipment this year and this seems like something I should know and should already have done. Please help!
Old 07-24-2007, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: tuning broadheads?

Some will tell you that tuning your broadheads do not make any difference. But Im a firm bleiver that it actually does help, a little. When the term Tuned Broadheads come up, usually this meens that your blades are aligned with your fletching. I have done this ever since I started bow hunting about 10-11 years ago. Some say tuning your broadheads will cut the wind drag down a little, I believe it. Some pros also tune their heads this way as well.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:25 AM

What is the easiest way to tune a broadhead if it doesn't align with the fletchings?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

what if i have a 3 fletch arrow and a 4 blade broadhead. Then what do i do?

thanks
Old 07-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Dominant Buck

thanks
Stop worrying about it. Far as I can tell it makes NO difference.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

thanks
Stop worrying about it. Far as I can tell it makes NO difference.
Right!
This is the only tunner I use http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/
Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 AM
bigcountry

Man, I remember years back carefully struggling to get my broadheads lined up with my fletch. What a waste of time.

Broadhead tuning for me, is first carefully pickign out my arrows for straightness. Then carefully pickin out ones for consistent spine. I do this paper tuning generally. I then spin test with broadhead to make sure there is no wobble whatsoever. After that, I shoot at 40-50 yards 3 field tip one and 3 broadheaded ones. I want them to hit same POI. If BH's hit high I raisemy nocking point 1/32" or so at a time. If they hit low, I raise. If they hit left, I first will try to move my rest slightly, and if that doesn't work, I will raise my poundage by 2lbs or so. If BH's hit right of my field points, I again try to move my rest, and if that doesn't work I lower my poundage 2lbs or so.

90% of the time, if I have paper tuned real well first, I only have to make very slight adjustments BH tuning. And when I go back to paper, it still shoots bullet holes. If you have a bad spined arrow, bad matched spined arrow combo, or not tuned to begin with or a wobbly BH, all bets are off. You have to start at the beginning.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 AM

not sure what you mean by this, right now im in the processs of broadhead tuning, but it doesnt involve how your blades and fletchings line up. The walk back test im doing helps your broadheads hit where your fieldpoints do.

so are yourbroadheads already hitting where your field points are? if so then dont fix it if it aint broke. if they aren't then go to eastonarchery.com click downloads and download their tuning guide, covers broadhead tuning.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I got lost somewhere on the "learning curve", but it sounds like there's some confusion here.

As I understand it, "broadhead tuning" is achieving as high a level of broadhead concentricity as possible..... spinning the arrow/broadhead and getting them aligned as perfectly as possible.

It seems to me that shooting the broadheads and adjusting the rest accordingly would be "bow tuning", working out the kinks that don't appear while shooting field points.

As to aligning broadhead blades with fletches, I started out doing that JUST because I like the look. A rack full of arrows that are identical in every way does look cool to me, but I've seen absolutely NO increase in accuracy doing this.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:42 PM

Download the Easton Tuning Guide. Tells you everything you need to do.

Good luck.