Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To much corn?????? >

To much corn??????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To much corn??????

Old 07-23-2007, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default To much corn??????

Since I bought my property 5 or 6 years ago the farmer on the property near byme has very rarely planted corn. When he did it was very small amount. In fact I have only seen pumpkins and soy beans in the big fields. Well this year it is corn, corn and more corn. Even a 80 that he leases fromme is corn. Basically my land is border by either the bay of Green Bay and corn feilds as far as the eye can see.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I saw a lot of deer last year but I think with all the standing corn the sighting may be limited.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: To much corn??????

It can really be a great thing if you're out hunting while it's being harvested. One the other hand, the deer can get in there and not come out while it's standing. Also, I always have trouble after the crop has been picked "clean". Seems, like the deer will just move to the next food source, and if it isn't around the harvested field, then you won't see much. An the other other hand, if they leave a few rows or the field is a little "messy", then the deer should still be around.

It would be a real good idea to ask that they leave a few rows standing in your leased field.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:51 AM

well people are growing corn to sell to ethonol plants. But no i think corn can be a good hunting spot if u adapt to your situation.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:22 AM

Trust me as someone who has a 1400 farm the only problem corn will cause is the amount of deer you will see. They will start to bed in there, but that gives you an opportunity on windy days to try a new type of hunting! And for the record the price is corn is going straight up and you can expect to see a lot of farmers planting corn.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

I saw a good way to hunt corn a couple years ago on a Team Fitzgerald movie. They walked the corn field until they found a decent area where they had been walking in the corn. Then they set up a tripod stand in that area and hunted it. They acutally killed a very respectable buck out of there... Corn kinda sucks tho becuase you can't really tell where the deer are moving. My advice is to walk the edge of the field and find out were they are coming out the most and hunt it. When its gettin pick sit on the edge with your trusty gun and let hell break loose
Old 07-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

I guess the reason I asked is because this time last year my field north of my woods was filled with deer at sundown. I haven't seen one out there yet. Now last year there was a small corn field up on the NE side and I happen to be out there when they cut and it held a lot of deer. Like I said before this is the first year I have seen this much corn. I don't blame them for growing it thats for sure. I miss the beans and the pumpkins though
Old 07-23-2007, 09:08 AM

where i hunt there is no food plots and i dont have the tools to put one in.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

Adapt your hunting to it and It could the best thing that could happen
Old 07-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

I love corn..... On windy days corns fields are my best friend and I do some of my best stalks in corn. I havebump alot of big bucks bedded in corn fields.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Corn also helps with getting into and out of a stand, makes them harder hear and see you, but they can still smell you.

Quick Reply: To much corn??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.