Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer decoys?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer decoys?

Never used one. I think it would be like using grunt calls or doe bleats, some deer will come right to them, and some will know something isnt right and head the other direction. Im trying more and more to let nature takes its course when Im in my stand, unless I see that hammer of a buck walking out of range and knowing he isnt going to come closer, then Ipanic and say awwww screw it, and make a grunt or 2 lol.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

I bought one last year and used it right after the bachelor groups broke up. It almost always got a deer's attention, but it never worked like Greg Miller and Stan Potts get Bucky Jr. to work.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shawneeslinger

I bought one last year and used it right after the bachelor groups broke up. It almost always got a deer's attention, but it never worked like Greg Miller and Stan Potts get Bucky Jr. to work.
Yeah, those guys make it look like it works every time! You gotta keep in mind that they are hunting outfitters with very UNPRESSURED deer. I think that pressure has a LOT to do with how effective decoys are!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

ORIGINAL: shawneeslinger

Yeah, those guys make it look like it works every time! You gotta keep in mind that they are hunting outfitters with very UNPRESSURED deer. I think that pressure has a LOT to do with how effective decoys are!
Hunsucker I thought it was fact all the feeders look like Bucky Jr
They think dinner is ready[:-]

Decoy is a 50% tool to me. There is a 50% chance it will fail. Those are not good odds IMO
Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO, if baiting is allowed I think it is a much more reliable tool. Plus a bait bucket from Moultrie is $20 and the corn is $5 a bag. Some of those decoys cost a pretty penny. Now, if I had a 3D archery target I would throw that out there and see what happens.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

did you de scent your deer ? maybe the deer smeeled you on your decoy
Old 08-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you need to catch them in the right mood. Usually youll get either positive results or negative. I think they will comit, or they will avoid it...its a catch 22
Old 08-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought a new Flambeau buck master decoy and it is the most realistic decoy i have ever seen
Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

If I was going to use a deer decoy , I would get one of these from BuckWing.
They look so real and the best thing about them is that the tail and head wobble with the lightest breeze.

Now that is the best deer decoy I saw yet. What does one of them cost in the USA?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

A lot of what I have read about deer decoys says that the motionless decoys are the way to go. A big buck is more likely be angered by the fact that this young buck is not giving him the time of day. You have to remember that small bucks get very intimidated when a big buck come around, so by havinga motionless decoy you are getting that buck to defend his turf. From my experience with my Delta decoy does are shy around it but I have never seen one instantly bolt away from it. Now smaller bucks will be afraid of one because they probably lost a fight not too long ago. Tome decoys are great for big buck use durring the rut. You want draw in the extra mean old bucks with a decoy. It is almost like they weed out the smaller bucks from coming close to you. Another thing to consider is that no grunt tube/bleat call/decoy/scent is going to work every single time. With my decoy when it works it works extremely well.