Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Homemade climbing stick? >

Homemade climbing stick?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade climbing stick?

Old 06-26-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Homemade climbing stick?

Anyone made their own? Or is this a bad idea from a safety standpoint? I'm thinking about getting a hang-on stand to put on private property this year in addition to my ladder stands and blinds and have plenty of treated leftover lumber from a deck project I worked on. I was thinking a couple of 10 foot long 2x4s securely connected together and with short lengths of 2x4 across them up the tree and the whole thing wratcheted securely to the tree may be the way to go. But any prior experience or other ideas? That is why I love this board. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Homemade climbing stick?

Never thought about making my own...i dont know if i wouuld use lumber. I could see machining some out of aluminum or something...
Old 06-26-2007, 12:53 PM

Thanks. I'm not so sure it's wise either. I do have a 12 foot ladder stand section from a cheapo ladder stand I no longer use cause its just so dang uncomfortable to shoot from. But it only gets you up 12 feet. I will probably just buy a cheap climbing stick but thought I'd ask.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would work. It would be heavy though. Since when is 2x4 lumber not strong enough to hold a man and gear climbing a tree?

Tom
Old 06-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never said anything about the wood not working, just that aluminum would be more practical
Old 06-26-2007, 01:30 PM

Like it was said it's heavy. I made a 15ft, 18ft, and 16ft ladder made to order. The best one was a single 4x4 with bolted on 2x4 steps. Strapped to the tree like a more modern tree stand ladder. I have used ot for 2 years with no issue. Oh yeah it was all treated lumber I got dumspter diving at a construction site. I could not pass up the length. Who throws that kind of material away? Oh well good for me..
Old 06-26-2007, 01:30 PM

and aluminum doesn't rot
Old 06-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive used lumber to make a ladder! Not quite a stick, but much more stable and safer.

get some 20 ft 2x4's and then screw steps to the top of them.

I'd brace it back to the tree mid height, or strap it to the tree vertically like a step. Im a "structural" engineer, and i'll tell ya those things are flimsy but as long as you keep it close the to tree (as vertical as possible) it will work.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:59 PM

Thanks guys. Good suggestions. I have the excess lumber and would buy quality treated hardware to assemble. I know its not as practical as a metal store bought climbing stick but I am on private property and my stands are in spots where I can get my truck fairly close to the trees.

Plus, I'm so paranoid, I'd check it several times a season and scrap it after a few years just to be safe.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck,

It will last a long time. If you drive a new nail or two into your steps every couple of years you could get 4 or 5 years out of it safely. I climb into tree stands that are much older than that even. I've never used treated lumber.

Tom

Quick Reply: Homemade climbing stick?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.