Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "How to become a better Archer"... >

"How to become a better Archer"...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"How to become a better Archer"...

Old 06-26-2007, 03:50 PM

Default "How to become a better Archer"...

It would be nice to have a thread everyone, especially newbees, could revert back to, to find useful tidbits of info on improving one's shooting ability. I'm fairly new to archery and don't have much to contribute, but I'm sure guys like myself could learn a lot from you experienced/competitive archers.

What helpful info(ie. books, technical orequipment advice, practice tips,etc)would you be willing to share with others?

As suggested on another thread, I recently replaced my stabilizer w/ one that had more weight to it and noticed a considerable improvement in settling my pins on the target.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: "How to become a better Archer"...

The one thing that will help you is surround yourself with experienced shooters. Go to ranges and learn from those that are overflowing with knowledge. It's so difficult to help on line since there are so many factors to figure into equation.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do the same thing for EVERY shot.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Bartender

Here is some help pal
http://www.huntingnet.com/bow/
Good information on the left side
ORIGINAL: dangolbowhunter

It would be nice to have a thread everyone, especially newbees, could revert back to, to find useful tidbits of info on improving one's shooting ability. I'm fairly new to archery and don't have much to contribute, but I'm sure guys like myself could learn a lot from you experienced/competitive archers.

What helpful info(ie. books, technical orequipment advice, practice tips,etc)would you be willing to share with others?

As suggested on another thread, I recently replaced my stabilizer w/ one that had more weight to it and noticed a considerable improvement in settling my pins on the target.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you hunt primarily from a treestand...then practice from one. If one is not handy...then make sure you are practicing good form on the ground. Keep in mind how small the platform of a treestand is. I ALWAYS shoot with my heels dang near together...even in tournys. Just for the simple fact that I'd rather blow a shot in a tourny than fall out of my treestand when drawing on a deer. Helps keep it the same.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:57 PM

always follow through with your shot focus on your target and don't move until your arrows hits it . if you are right handed and your shots tend to go low and left you are probably dropping your bow hand at the shot
Old 06-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Download a copy of Easton's tuning guide. Trust me, you won't regret it!It hasa wealth of information!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:57 PM

Every year I start shoothing about three to four months before season. And every year I have a hard time getting into the grove. As of two years ago I started a routine that some one suggegted in order to get over that "ants in the pants" feeling. It is as simple as drawing the bow, putting the pin on the target, and not shooting. I focus all my energy in my form, holding that pin on the target, and breathing. I do this for about ten seconds at a time until I can feel my body start to relax.. So far it has worked like a charm. So if you can't find that grove give it a try.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get into trapping. I mean real trapping, not those live cages, but snares and footholds. The detailthat trappersanalyze sign is amazing. When bowhunting, you need to be able to study sign to get within 40 yards of game, but in trapping, you must knowexactly where it will set foot. No better training for a bowhunter than buying a trappers license and goingafter coyotes and other furbearers in the late seasons.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Practice... Go to some 3d tournaments and learn...

Quick Reply: "How to become a better Archer"...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.