Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Homemade climbing stick? >

Homemade climbing stick?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade climbing stick?

Old 06-26-2007, 03:20 PM

Default RE: Homemade climbing stick?

Hubby and two of his friends made climbing ladders out of metal. They used square metal pipe and rebar. Basically they look a lot like this:
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shop...2acbf161780a88

But, since one of them does a lot of metal work and had the shop and the three of them split the cost of materials and labor between them, it came out fairly cheap. They are in sections of about 4 or 5 feet so you can use as many as you need. And you can take the bottom section (or two if you prefer) with you so someone else can't use your stand.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

It would be a heavy son of a gun. If you could leave it for a season, probably work ok. I know one person killed and two paralyzed from falling out of a deer stand. YMMV.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:33 PM

I've helped tote them in and had no problems ... they are probably heavier than the aluminum (they would have to be but I have never helped tote an aluminum one so have no basis for comparison) but the square metal they use is hollow. And we do set up for a season. That's the beauty of being able to remove the bottom section or two and take them with you.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made one out of a deck i took down free lumber. the boards where in great shape made it out of 2 x 6 still wobbly and it was extremly heavy . I won't do it again . Next time mabe an old metal ladder from a yard sale ?

[/align]
Old 06-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have made a slug of them. 1" sq. tubing a 20 ft stick makes about a 15 ft ladder. But and a big BUT, when its all said and done it isnt any cheaper building your own vs. buing the el-cheapos. I just enjoy making them.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:33 PM

I make my own out of a very thin walled pipe. I can buy it for scrape price at work so it is very cost effective. I make all my hang on stands out of the same stuff. As far as safety goes, i feel much safer out of something I make and weld myself than any of the el'cheap'os that come from china that some guy gets paid on the number of stands or ladders he can weld up in one day. He is not thinking ok is thing going to hold my a$$ 20ft in the air? he is thinking about quiting time and which bar he is going to tonight lol. I take pride in makeing my stuff and also really enjoy it, just part of the hunt for me.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

two things I have used
1.... an old aluminum ladder section. Someone was throwing away a 40' aluminum ladder because it was bent. There's 2 20' pieces
2..... I work with metal and bought 2- 1" square tubing. Cut one down in a bunch of 6" pieces, welding them to the single long piece.

I have seen guys use old aluminum CB antenae, the kind for base stations.
Just some thoughts...
Old 06-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

We use 16ft treated 2x4's with 2ft treated 2x4 steps that have lag screws in each step with a treated 2x4 platform that is lag bolted to the tree. We make sure we seal the stand with Armour All sealant every year. These stands have lasted thru 6 years of hunting. We havent had to tighten one bolt. Its very durable and to be quite frank very comfortable. We have even moved the stands to adjust to the deer...
Old 06-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have made two of my own from very thin wall square 1" tubing, there are four sections 4' apiece. I would not recomend it unless you have some welding skills. I tig welded mine.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:22 PM

I make my own out of 1 inch box iron and used diamond tooth harrows. I cut the 1 inch tubing into 5ft lengths (usually use 4 sections) I weld chain links on each side of the tubing at the top and bottom of each section and use this to attach a rachet strap to and around the tree. I then weld on harrow teeth alternating on the way up every foot or so on each section. I test all the steps then test them again then use them. They work really well and u can walk a ways with them if need be. I paint them up camo as well as my rachet straps. I just finished building 3 more stands so i will be making some steps here again this week if i have time.

Quick Reply: Homemade climbing stick?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.