Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting standing corn edges??? >

hunting standing corn edges???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting standing corn edges???

Old 05-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default hunting standing corn edges???

Anyone hunt the (very) edges of standing cornfields and have much luck?? In all my years of hunting i honestly have never tried it[&:]Crop rotation is on my side this year and its going to be corn, so im thinking of trying it. Do you have more luck in the evenings or morning hunts?? do you set up near crop damage or more between known bedding areas and the crop? Who sets up directly on the edges looking for cruising deer? any tips apreciated, im all for hearing everything anyone has to offer.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:14 PM

Default RE: hunting standing corn edges???

I hunt 5 yds in from the edge, on the corner of a corn field. I saw a ton of deer last year within shooting distance.

The early season afternoon (chase phase of the rut) is when I saw the most deer. They are just starting to scrape on the edges of the fields and the does are running the edges of the field...soon to follow the bucks. 5 yds was enough to break my silouette while still getting a clean shot (no branches).

I highly recommend a daytime scent dripper though. Get them coming to a nearby scrape during the day (counteract the full moon phase). Choose the side of the corn field (if you can) that you can look down the rows of the corn. This will eliminate any surprise element they have. Also, spooked deer with run right through the corn and stop 20-30 yds in the woods to look back. So don't neglect your into the woods shooting lanes.

Best of Luck!
Old 05-06-2007, 08:44 PM

I've HEARD that if you can get, say, a grassy edge of the field or some other strategic place, a "corn chute" is the way to go. Ifyou could cut a path in the standing corn about 3 feet wide by 100 feet long, it's like a deer highway. That's not too much in crop loss, either. I'm thinking it's only around 20 bucks in loss......If that's a possibility for you......
Old 05-06-2007, 09:05 PM

It's better to use twine and tie the corn stalks to each other to create a path for deer. This is also environmentally friendly and if an animal decides to eat the string...it won't kill them. Also, you won't make a farmer upset and it won't get caught in his corn picker.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

I love hunting corn fields! Many times they will have distinct trails leading from the field into and out of the woods. My biggest problem is finding a suitable tree to put a stand in that will allow me to not only get off the side of the trail but to be able to shoot into the field if the deer follows the field edge and won't use the trail. With the higher price of corn, an ethanol plant only 15 miles away and crop rotation I am expecting a lot of corn in my hunting areas as long as the weather cooperates.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd hunt the inside corner of a standing corn field in a minute (Actually....ANY agricultural field). The deer are going to take the path of least resistance....and this seems like a perfect scenario.

My hunting only allows me to catch them either heading out or coming home from such fields. The deer I hunt are traveling 1/2 to 1 mi. to get to these fields. I would also ONLY hunt this in theevenings until I found out whether or not they were bedding in the corn.......YET (I say 'yet".....because the deer use corn for hideouts a LOT, here).

I've got one spot this year that'll have standing corn......and I'll have a stand there early.....ust to see if they're utilizing this area.This is the only spot I'll be doing pre-season scouting. I'm not familiar with their patterns in this area.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats some great information there guys, thats what im looking for, i will engrave all the tips into my brain and use them accordingly. Thanks again!!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:57 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

I used that method in the past while living in MI. If the corn field butts up to a wooded area it creates a natural funnel for them. They feel comfortable due to escape routes on either side.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually you maybe better off setting up just on the edge of the woods along a corn field. this has been proven to give positive results. I have been doing this for years.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

At least around here, the deer use the cornfields as much for cover and bedding as anywhere else when it is standing. I will hunt the edges at known entry and exit points of the fields while it is standing. Even mature bucks and does feel safe in the standing corn and will get up and move earlier in the evening and later in the morning. I have had pretty good success, but the time to hunt them is usually pretty short as the season starts in late September and the farmers usually pick after just a couple of weeks of season. I clear a lane just about 5 feet wide out 20-25 yards. It's amazing how often they will stop ina lane like that.

It is a corn year here too

Quick Reply: hunting standing corn edges???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.