Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Making changes?

Old 05-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Making changes?

Are any of you guys planning on making changes this year? I don't mean you guys that get a new rig every year. You guys and gals that keep the same bow for a few years. Are you planning on any upgrades to your equipment? I have been debating a few changes although I also wonder if I should fix what ain't broke. I'm currently using a Tru-Fire Hurricane release and that is the first thing I will replace if I do make any changes. I'm also debating a change in BHs. I've wanted to give Slick Tricks a try for a while now but I've had great results with the 100 gr 3-blade Muzzy's I've been shooting since I first screwed a BH onto a shaft. So like I said why fix what isn't broken? So convince me what release deserves my cash and why should I change from a proven BH? I am looking for ideas although I may leave well enough alone.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Making changes?

If I don't decide to get me a whole new outfit, I am definately getting a new sight. My trophy ridge just doesn't stay bright long enough in the evening. I was thinking about the Viper, but they are really expensive. The extreme is basically the same sight but for a lot less cash and very bright, Plus I can get it locally instead of ordering something I haven't seen in person.

I use a Cobra release and have no complaints. It has about an inch of adjustment on the arm and you can pivot it out of the way and tuck it in your sleeve when not needed.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:06 PM

I am far from the expert, but I made a few change to my set-up this year, in order to get a little bit of last enjoyment out of my old rig before a new bow or crossbow next year. I changed from mech NAP's to fixed crossfires, but more importantly changed releases to a true ball copperhead XT. I truly love the copperhead and glad I made the change.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have switched arrows brands, an I am getting some new camo most likely 2 new suits. I will most likely get one more climbing stand.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:22 PM

Well, I am keeping my Old Glory this year, first time in probablly 6 years that I have kept a bow for more than one season. I love the Old Glory and just couldn't justifying buying a new bow when this things is perfect for me. I have been tossing around the idea of a new sight, I have a Cobra Sidewinder LX Mystic on it right now and I was looking at the Viper sights, but the Sidewinder is a good sight and I am not sure if I can justify spending money on a new sight when the Sidewinder already performs great for me. The only thing that I know will be updated is the strings, still have the factory on and after a year of heavy shooting I feel its time to upgrade to either a WC or I'll get ahold of Gibblet and see what he can come up with! I also plan on taking off my STS system and just going back to string leechs, the STS is just extra weight that I don't need!
Old 05-05-2007, 08:24 PM

I have upgraded:

My release (Tru Fire X-Caliper to a Scott Lil Goose) - January

My arrow rest (Cavalier Stinger to a Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter) - May

Up next is my sight. I love my sight but I want a longer arm so I can convert my 0-20yd pin to a 0-30yd pin. Impact Archery makes a 6" extension that should do the job.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had the same bow since 04, may change in 2010.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I came across a roller guard arm for a switchback and put it on my outback (yes they are the exact same size) so basically added harmonic dampners to my guard arm. Also upgraded my string, cable, a new idler wheel and pins, new syle string loop, and set up a few custom arrows. Taking it bear hunting in September up in Ontario.
I am waiting for a new Mathews bow to impress me enough to upgrade, but really like my outback so not quite time to change yet.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am always changeing things out and expermenting and thats what I call fine tuneing. It all depends on what kind of demands you put on yerself, do you want 1" groups or are you satisfied with pie plate groups?

Bobby
Old 05-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't shoot groups. Arrows cost to much.

Quick Reply: Making changes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.