Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting standing corn edges??? >

hunting standing corn edges???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting standing corn edges???

Old 05-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting standing corn edges???

I have over 1000 acres of just corn I hunt. One of my biggest problems is its bordered bylitterally 1 mile of straight woodline, no funnels or anything except for 1 corner at the end of the field edge which is where I have tried hunting. In that 1 mile stretch its extremely difficuly to pinpoint regular deer travel as it changes day to day whereI would see them go into the corn. I sat on a few stands for almost 4 weeks one year and saw plenty of shooters but they extremely difficuly to get shots at as they mainly walked straight into the corn and rarely walked the edge of thecorn woodlinewhich they seem to know is not the best place to be. They would even trot from the woodline straight into the corn. I used to think it was from hunting pressure but myself and 2 other guys hunted the property and we were all very spread out throught the property. When I move inside the woodline some I see many more deer and have better shot opportunities. Thats just my situation, Im sure this will vary greatly. Love the standing corn, hate the shot opportunities I get.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Diesel....I wouldn't know where to begin to try and pattern THOSE deer. It just seems to me that the deer here (and we ADMITTEDLY have MUCH smaller acreages of crops) like to travel the field edges when moving from woodlot to woodlot (much like they'll travel a hedgerow). Hence my inside corner suggestion.

You guys hunting vast areas have my respect. Your deer (size) is a nice trade-off, though.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:19 AM

Early season afternoons have worked best for me. Mainly because the fields are out by the rut, and before the rut-craze gets everything mixed up, I've found that hunting an active food source in the early season afternoons to be a pretty reliable tactic. Great time to hunt on the fly. And the inside, or 'dark' corner as I call it, is a great place to start.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 AM

its good in the morning and evening. make sure you have some shooting lanes