Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
My Venison got thawed out, Help!!!!!!!!! >

My Venison got thawed out, Help!!!!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My Venison got thawed out, Help!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2002, 07:35 AM

Default My Venison got thawed out, Help!!!!!!!!!

You will never believe what I did. I went to get a Pizza out of our standing freezer on Tuesday. Friday I went back into the freezer room the freezer was open about 5 inches and all my meat was thawed, AAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!. Only one package had leaked blood so there wasnt a mess, that pakage didnt smell. all packaged were not cold. I havent had the nerve to thaw out a package and try it. I have 2 full deer in this freezer. Do you think it's still ok.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:04 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Venison got thawed out, Help!!!!!!!!!

It really depends on how long it's been unthawed. Any idea?

JRW
Old 12-18-2002, 08:06 AM

I work in the Foodservice industry. I've got over 20 years of professional cooking experience so maybe I can help. Health department standards have what they call the 'danger zone'. The 'danger zone' is from 40 degress f to 140 degrees f. If the tempature of your meat was in that range for more than 6 hours constant, there is a good chance that some foodbourne bacteria have formed and started to multiply. You say you opened you freezer on Tues. and didn't notice it again until Fri. That's 72 hours. It would have taken 24 hours for everything to completly thaw out. Then the 'danger zone' clock would have started. If it's possible that the freezer was closed until Thurs., you may be alright. But if it's been open for that whole time, you better just throw it away. Food posioning is no joke. I got it once from a restaurant in Omaha that's no longer is business because of me. I got them shut down. But that's after I spent 3 days in the Hospital and lost 40 lbs. Good luck.

KEEP IT LEGAL. KEEP IT SAFE. OR WE MAY NOT GET TO KEEP IT AT ALL.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

becks16,
Budbowhunter has a great point, and sounds like he knows what he's talking about, better safe than sorry. Sorry to hear it happened, but I'd be sorrier to hear that you're in the hospital.
Trebark

Become one with nature...then grill it.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

According to the USDA, if game meat is defrosted in the refrigerator it can be safely refrozen and used. I have a respect thing about my venison. Before you throw it away, refreze ie then bite the bullet and take some to your local health department and have it tested first.

Here is the URL that contains this information:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/farmgame.htm

Bowhunter

Edited by - Dick_Cress on 12/18/2002 12:19:27
Old 12-18-2002, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe if you cook it up and then refreeze it.Or have smoked Boloney made of it.But I'm no expert.You got some sound advice on here.I cooked up some thawed out meat already and cooked it ,well done and never had a problem.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:29 PM

BECKS16

I REPLIED IN THE COOKING SECTION. PLEASE LISTEN TO BUDBOWHUNTER. I AM A CERTIFIED EXECUTIVE CHEF AND HAVE 30 YEARS IN THE FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY. YOU DO NOT WANT FOOD POISIONING NOR DO YOU WANT TO EXPOSE ANYONE ELSE TO IT. IF YOU HAD A PACKAGE THAT HAD LEAKING BLOOD THEN YOUR MEAT HAS HAD THE CHANCE TO DEVELOPE FOOD BORN ILLNESS, AND ALSO DEVELOPE BACTERIA THAT COOKING WILL NOT KILL. PLEASE THROW IT AWAY.

HUNT ON HUNT HARD EAT WELL
Old 12-18-2002, 02:56 PM

Safe Defrosting:
There are three safe ways to defrost frozen game: in the refrigerator, in cold water, and in the microwave. Never defrost on the counter. Whole birds or ground meat may take 1 to 2 days or longer to defrost in the refrigerator; roasts, several days. Once the raw poultry defrosts, it will be safe in the refrigerator an additional day or two before cooking. Meat and poultry thawed in the refrigerator may be safely refrozen without cooking it first.

I RAN IN TO THE SAME PROBLEM, MY PLUG WAS LOOSE AND THE FREZZER WAS OFF FOR LIKE A DAY, ALL MY MEAT WAS STILL FROZEN & THERE WAS STILL ICE ON THE WALLS OF MY CHEST FREEZER, BUT MY SMOKED SAUGAGE & REGULAR SAUSAGE WAS SOFT. I TOOK THE RE-FREEZING ROUTE.
DO YOU GUYS THINK THE SAUSAGE IS STILL OK?????
Old 12-18-2002, 05:38 PM

I always thaw a pakage of Meat in the Sink... at Room temperature. I've dome this for years... and never had a problem.
I know some say to thaw it in the Fridge.
Once my Meat is almost thawed, I quickly place it in Salt Water, and stick in the Fridge till I'm ready to cook it.
Would it be better if I placed the Frozen Steaks in a Bowl of cold Salt water... and let thaw out in the Sink? How about a package of Hamburger?

It aint Braggin if you back it up...

Edited by - Nine_Point_Buck on 12/18/2002 18:43:34

Edited by - Nine_Point_Buck on 12/18/2002 18:45:21
Old 12-18-2002, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I also have a foodservice backround 14 years working as a chef and a culinary degree.Too bad you didn't stick a meat thermometer in it as soon you found it.I'd throw it away too.

Quick Reply: My Venison got thawed out, Help!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.