Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Deer hit the deck like a ton of bricks... >

Deer hit the deck like a ton of bricks...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer hit the deck like a ton of bricks...

Old 12-13-2002, 03:52 PM

Default Deer hit the deck like a ton of bricks...

Hey all. I'm a first year archery hunter and finally got a shot at a decent 8-point the past weekend. I seen the buck approaching and had drew my bow before the buck stepped out from behind a tree to offer a 20 yard broadside shot. The deer was looking my direction towards my treestand just prior to my releasing the arrow. I do not believe he had winded me but may have caught a movement. After releasing the arrow the deer immediately dropped down, his belly nearly touching the ground and spun 180 degrees and was gone. I was just certain he made this incredible athletic move because I had stuck him with my arrow. After about 30 minutes of trying to calm the quiver in my knees and patting myself on the back, I climbed from my stand to look for my arrow, flashlight in hand as it was fairly dark by then. I found the arrow, but to my disgust found that it had only 4 hairs wedged in the mechanical broadhead. No blood. Apparently I had only grazed his back. A thorough search for blood that night and the next morning confirmed this. Ok, now my question. Should I be picking a spot a fraction lower in the event that a deer "squats" like this again. I realize that my shot may have possibly been a little high to start with. I have had some hunting buddies listen to my bow when I shoot and they have all told me my bow is relatively quiet. Sorry for the long narrative, just fishin for thoughts. By the way, this bowhunting is pretty good stuff.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer hit the deck like a ton of bricks...

Welcome to the board Ozwolt, and I think you are definately gonna like bowhunting, I picked up a bow 10 years ago and have never gun hunted since.
Whenever I shoot at a deer broadside at less than 30 yards I always aim a little low, that way if he doesnt drop and if my aim is true I will get a heart shot, if he does drop I will get both lungs. Either way he is on his way to the packing house.
But you just have to remember that when you are bowhunting dont take risky shots at a deer, because to me the worst feeling in the world is wounding an animal and not recovering it.

hc4runner
MO. bowhunter

Old 12-13-2002, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Ozwolt, a deer will usually squat down in order to change direction and flee the area. The deer ws not ducking you shot as many hunters believe. As hc4runner said, your best bet is to aim low. Even if your off target you will most likely still hit a vital organ. Good luck and welcome to bowhunting.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:40 PM

Personally, I think they duck naturally.

To compensate for this I usually aim 1/3 up from the belly and just behind the shoulder. This year tho, my doe ducked a little more than normal and I got a high left lung hit and my arrow exited through the liver on the opposite side. Normally I hit around mid body.

Others on the board may also advise you to bend at the waist when shooting from a tree stand.

Dick
Old 12-13-2002, 08:23 PM
nub

If the deer was looking at you, he was on alert status to begin with. Next time try to hold off on letting go until he turns his head. You failed to mention your equipment so I can't tell you if speed is really a problem. Even with moderate speed, you should just be able to aim for double lungs on an unsuspecting deer at 20 yards. They can move pretty darn quick so your best chance is waiting for a better shot.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I can see where I should have waited for the deer to look away before releasing, and possibly aim a bit lower. Apparently I'm not the first guy to have a deer squat like this. I've seen them flinch and drop slightly on uh...TV shows, but not drop clear to the ground like this one did. And Nub, I'm shooting 60# compound with aluminum arrow. Probably not the fastest arrow in the world, but I assume at 20 yards would be sufficient. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-14-2002, 07:44 AM
nub

Well your not the quickest stick in the bush Oz. You can definatly increase your odds by doing some extra noise reduction. That along with waiting for his head to turn or be obstructed. Their pretty wired when their looking right at ya. He probably seen your bow go off and your movement before he heard it. Got to love it tho eh? Better luck next time.