Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent drag

Old 03-09-2007, 05:59 PM

Default scent drag

what do you use to drag a scent trail? I always wear rubber boots and there's nothing to tie a string to. Also what do you put the scent on?
Old 03-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: scent drag

Tie it around the whole boot if you have nothing else. I don't use one though.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:09 PM

Why not?
Old 03-09-2007, 06:11 PM

I don't like them don't think the work
Old 03-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I must be honest, I'venever had any luck with scents. Ever!
Old 03-09-2007, 06:32 PM

The 8 point I shot this past season came right into my scent. I was about to get off stand when I heard him coming. He covered over 100 yards in a matter of seconds and was under my stand sniffing my scent wick. He was moving perpendicular to my scent trail and when he hit it he made a 90 degree turn and followed my path right to the wick. Although I must admit that is the only time it has worked out that great for me.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:40 PM

If your spot is good you souldn't need them
Old 03-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

late and I mean late season I will use Tinks if I want to try and fill a 2nd tag.
I use boot straps when I walk in and thats it...if I use a scent at all..Dont do the drag thing tho.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:47 PM

I've been hunting a hardwood plateau that is 200 yards wide that the deer have to cross. It's basically a strip of open woods with thick swamp on one side and feeding area on the other. I've seen them cross in so many different spots. I've even seen the same deer cross in 3 different spots on 3 consecutive days.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

I've used a drag a few times and had some luck, even watched and 8 follow the scent trail all the way to my stand. Ended up taking a hard angle shot (not good) that fortunately I missed. I take a cloth and tie a string to it with a loop on the other end. I use a string long enough that I can pull the string through the loop giving me a larger loop that I can put around my boot. I'll drag it until I get maybe 10 yards from my stand and then I will toss it away from my stand in the opposite direction from where I came. The day I watched the 8 come in I probably drug it too close because he came in too close for a good angle. [8D] I'll leave the loop at the end of the string large enough that its easy to pull off.

Quick Reply: scent drag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.