HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   increasing poundage (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/183827-increasing-poundage.html)

arkansasbowhunter 03-08-2007 08:24 PM

increasing poundage

my wife has a selena and we are curious as to how much 1 turn will increase her poundage. she is pulling 35 lbs and I turned each limb 2 complete turns. anyone know?

mobow 03-08-2007 08:27 PM

RE: increasing poundage

About 3 pounds

Sorry, didn't read it right.....1 turn is about 3 pounds

arkansasbowhunter 03-08-2007 08:39 PM

are all bows equal at 3 pounds. my girls micro adrenaline sure didn't feel like a 3 pound increase when I turned hers 1 turn? thanks for the help.

mobow 03-08-2007 08:41 PM

No, but it's a good average....they are pretty close....At least in my experience that is.

KS227 03-08-2007 09:23 PM

mobowhunter's rule of thumb is mine also. Put it in your truck and stop by a shop on the way home and have them check it. If they give you any flak, they aren't worth their salt. It should take you less than 20 minutes.

Paul L Mohr 03-09-2007 06:48 AM

It will all depend on how many turns total you can put on your limb bolts from mininum to peak weight. Bows vary some in this regard so it would vary on how much poundage you would gain as well.

Like said, the best way to do it is to measure it. The type of cams and draw length may even effect it a little.

I would not shoot for a specific draw weight though. I would set it to where it is comfortable and then measure the peak draw weight in order to pick the correct arrows. Knowing the draw weight of your bow and how fast it shoots has nothing to do with how well it or you will shoot. It only helps you track the tune of the bow (if it looses speed it is probably going out of tune) or lets you help pick the correct arrow spine.

Paul

arkansasbowhunter 03-09-2007 07:25 AM

thanks for the help guys. I am just trying to increase her poundage a little at a time to help her flatten the tracjectory of her arrows out and give her a little more margin of error when judging at the 3-d tourneys. right now if she miss judges by 2 yards her arrow drops 4 inches which puts you out of the 10 ring. she is pulling 35lbs. I cranked her bow 2 full turns. as long as she can pull and hold it comfortably I will increase her bow a turn at a time. she shoots very well for no longer than she has been shooting 1 month. her selena at 23.5 inches with a 291 gr arrow, 35lbs shoots around 173 fps. I was trying to get her to 40lbs and maybe a lighter arrow. I have her shooting a gold tip 3555, blazer vanes, and 65 gr fp's. I was thinking of trying a goldtip 600. this would shave another 35 grains or so for her. Any suggestions??

KodiakArcher 03-09-2007 10:30 AM

You could try those featherweight High Country Carbon Pros but for what they cost you might be better off getting her a faster bow...

pigiron 03-09-2007 11:07 AM

I've been increasing poundage ever since I got married.

Roskoe 03-09-2007 11:53 AM

I've got a similar deal going with my 14 year old son. I would basically just back it off until she can draw it without undue strain. And then just measure the pull weight so you can get arrows spined properly. In our case, backing off a Fred Bear Elementfour turns brought the pull down about ten pounds. Also brought arrow speed down about 30 fps.

Bad thing about all this is that, within a month or two, she can probably pull more weight - maybe an increase sufficient to require a stiffer arrow spine. Oftentimes, you can just decrease point weight an get the proper spine for the same arrow with a bow 5 lbs. heavier in draw weight.