Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

venison jerky

Old 03-11-2007, 05:13 PM

Default venison jerky

I want to make a bunch of jerky and was wondering if anyone ever tried to freeze it. I'm thinking it may not be the same after freezing, but if it's ok to freeze that would be ideal. I could make it all in one day and be done with it.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:25 PM

Default RE: venison jerky

i made a batch this year and put some in the freezer and it was fine. but then again it didnt last too long in the freezer because it was too good
Old 03-11-2007, 05:34 PM

I plan on making about 20 lbs and I don't anticipate it lasting too long, but if I knew it would be alright until this year's season I would save some.I like to bring some to the hunting shack, it's a tradition. In the years past I would wait to make it until shortly before the season, but I don't want to wait. How long would you leave it in the freezer?
Old 03-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

It usuallt doesn't last very long in our house when I make it so I very rarely freeze my jerky. Last year I did make a big batch and wanted to save some for my neighbor boy who is in the Rangers, so I decided to freeze some. I do all my own deer so I bought a vacum sealer a few years ago and use it to freeze everything. It worked great for the jerky. Had it in the freezer for about 7 months and when I took it out it was just like the day I put it in. Hopefully you have a vacum sealer. If not, be sure and get the good freezer bags ( preferably the Zip Locks that have the double bag material) and just be sure to get all the air out of the bag you can.It should be fine.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Proff

It usuallt doesn't last very long in our house when I make it so I very rarely freeze my jerky. Last year I did make a big batch and wanted to save some for my neighbor boy who is in the Rangers, so I decided to freeze some. I do all my own deer so I bought a vacum sealer a few years ago and use it to freeze everything. It worked great for the jerky. Had it in the freezer for about 7 months and when I took it out it was just like the day I put it in. Hopefully you have a vacum sealer. If not, be sure and get the good freezer bags ( preferably the Zip Locks that have the double bag material) and just be sure to get all the air out of the bag you can.It should be fine.
Thanx, I do have a vacuum sealer and a stand up freezer out in the garage, works out great.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Thats great! You are in business. Freeze away. By the way, I will pm you my address to send a few pounds my way. I ran out about a week ago.