Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 concealing our tree stands.. >

concealing our tree stands..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

concealing our tree stands..

Old 02-01-2007, 07:02 AM

Default concealing our tree stands..

Hey guys I was wondering. how do you usually go about concealing the tree stand your going to hunt out of? or is it worth it to bother with it at all? I noticed the majority of tree stands sold in stores and pro shops dont have any camo but a gray paint finish on them (most are shiny finish and not matte) so I was wondering how to get camo on the stand or maybe some one could indulge us in how to conceal the stand from deer. thanks guys.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: concealing our tree stands..

On my Summit, it came with the SummitSkin which is pretty sweet stuff. Also, Hunter Safety System makes a similar product in a roll that you can put on your stand as well. Otherwise, you can always paint it up a little bit. I've found, that unless your in a tree that is kind of by itself, you don't really need to be too concerned about it, especially since the platforms aren't solid. There are a bunch of products for sale that are like fake tree limbs, which I'm guess would fit the bill as well.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just get rid of anything black and all is good, IMO
Old 02-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I allways try to find a tree that has alot of limbs 20 to 24 feet up and set my stand among those.
In the early season it's easy to do with the leaves still on the tree but even in late fall , try to have some limbs below your platform.
In the picture below shows a good concealment of my stand.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got the API cover system for christmas, Its basically artificial branches and leaves that attach to any stand you want to. I started using it on my summit and it worked wonderful. I had deer look right past me. Its not that much extra weight to carry in either.

On my permanent stands or lock ons I usually brush in w/ some cedar boughs right before the season... That usually does the trick very well, plus it smells nice when your up there.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I just hang my ladders REAL early......and my stands a few weeks before the season. I give the deer time to get used to my ladders.......and then I add the stands, later.

Nothing at all scientific or proven to my method. I just figure the deer see trees fall, naturally, in the woods and see fences get torn down.....and trees uprooted...etc...etc...etc... . Bottom line....if it isn't sprung on them at the last minute.....they'll accept it after a while. I know guys hang stand and shoot deer the same day, also.....but I think total concealment is a bigger priority for those guys. I do the best I can.....making LOCATION a priority over total concealment.

Just me, though......

Disclaimer: I only hunted out of the same stand a couple of times, last year.....and I only saw a few hundred deer.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

As much as you hunted this year...only having hunted the same stand a couple of times, you must have a butt ton of stands out there. [&:]

Disclaimer: I only hunted out of the same stand a couple of times, last year.....and I only saw a few hundred deer.
[/quote]
Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Nope. I use a climber almost all the time. I actually prefer it because I can NAP in the climber if I want to!.....lol

I set the hang-ons (only have 3) in places I can only go into when everything is just right.....and 1 for my son to hunt out of so that he doesn't have to hike in a climber. After I hunt them a time or two.....I usually move them. I only hunted out of a hang on .....maybe 5 or six times, this season. I had them all up in August. I also hung my ladders to the trees I wanted to......earlier.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

For my ladder stand I will cut a couple cedar trees to run up each side and then I will brush the top in with anything I can find. I wire tie 1" by 2" long pvc around the stand so I can just stick the ends of the branches in . My hang ons I try and put in a think spot in the tree and if need be I will brush it in. For climbers I try and get a couple trees that are close together so it breaks my out line up a bit. I also go higher with them.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Banned

Ladder standsI zip strip some small branches to the ladder rails to break it up and to camo ita little. HangonsI do nothing.

Quick Reply: concealing our tree stands..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.