Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer Vocalizations, The Roar/Growl Phenomenon >

Deer Vocalizations, The Roar/Growl Phenomenon

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Vocalizations, The Roar/Growl Phenomenon

Old 01-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Deer Vocalizations, The Roar/Growl Phenomenon

Isn't it odd that many of us have been on these forums for how many years now and with all the veteran, seasoned hunters here and noone, no one has ever mention hearing it. In fact the members here who I deem the most vetetran, 25 plus years in a treestand, collectively 100's of years between us and no one ever heard it. Now that there are calls out, suddenly everyone is hearing it. Are the deer now using it more? Perhaps people are hearing other hunters use it more? It's a vocalization that has never been documented before the Drury's and suddenly the deer are using it? Have hunters heard it before and just didn't know what they were hearing?

Seriously, why all of a sudden is the roar/growl being heard?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer Vocalizations, The Roar/Growl Phenomenon

I personally think it's that hunters have heard it and simply not know what it was. That said, I have yet to hear the roar/growlfor myself. However, every year I hear things while on the stand and wonder to myself...what in the world made that sound. Matter of fact, it happened to me just a couple of days ago.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

What I find funny is the same guys who state "We killed deer 50 years ago without fancy camo" Are the same guys who buy the buck growl. Which is suppose to be for mature deer only.[&:]

The biggest racket in hunting iscalls and scents IMO.

As for hearingthe growl now, well kind of goes in hand with the sugar pill theory.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Dominant Buck

It's pure and simple a boondoggle. Marketing at it's best. So one buck makes a different grunt and we have a new $20 call that you "MUST" have if you want to be like the Drury boys who happen to have farms that are planted for deer and managed for deer and all that. Pure marketing. It shall pass.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Spike

I think it is just because people know what it is now. I have heard it once in the woods. It was over two years ago when I shot a buck. Right when the arrow hit him he make a sound just like the buck growl, but at the time I had know idea what it was.

If I never see that Drury video I just say the buck make a weird sound, and probably forget about it, but since there is a name for it now I tell that as part of the story.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mnbuckman

I think it is just because people know what it is now. I have heard it once in the woods. It was over two years ago when I shot a buck. Right when the arrow hit him he make a sound just like the buck growl, but at the time I had know idea what it was.

If I never see that Drury video I just say the buck make a weird sound, and probably forget about it, but since there is a name for it now I tell that as part of the story.
Muck if you hit me with one of your arrows I make a noise no one heard before too.

My dad said the samething, maybe you just pissed him off
Old 01-03-2007, 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: mnbuckman

If I never saw that Drury video I just say the buck make a weird sound, and probably forget about it, but since there is a name for it now I tell that as part of the story.
Agreed. I have heard it in the past and never thought much of it. After seeing the video, I heard the sound this year again and called it a growl. Mainly because it now has a name.

IMO, the sound that theRoar and Growl make are terrible. I find it sounds better when using the Tru Talker, with a little practice.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:58 PM

Its the same sound we've always heard. Its a drawn out tending grunt.

It isn't a growl, it isn't a roar, its the same tending grunt deer have always made. Its the same sound we've made with our regular grunt calls.

Its a marketing ploy. I bought into it to see what it was all about, but I'm convinced about what it is now.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Spike

LoL. My brother thought that I just pissed him off too.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, marketing at its best. I don't know if I ever heard it so I'll never say for sure. I did hear a mature buck cruising behind a doe make a very long almost constant growl once. Don't know if that qualifies or not.

Would I ever use it? Nope. I read too many things that make sense toward not using it. If you're in an area where there aren't mature bucks, I'd say 4 1/2 or older, you'll probably spook more deer than attract.

The biggest racket in hunting iscalls and scents IMO.
I agree with calls, but not scents. I've had a lot of success with mock scrapes and hanging scents wicks. Is one better than the other? I don't know. But I've had most of my success with one particular brand.

Quick Reply: Deer Vocalizations, The Roar/Growl Phenomenon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.