Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Calling late season deer?? >

Calling late season deer??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calling late season deer??

Old 12-07-2006, 06:07 PM

Default RE: Calling late season deer??

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Icedragon

When approximatly does the second rut begin (in most areas)?
28 days after the peak of the first rut....I know that's a generalization and in the Northern Hemisphere like MI and PA, 28 days after the 15th of Nov give or take.
Thanks, that helps!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:08 PM

Here in North Central WI the only call I use during the late season is a bleat can. To be more specific, only during the second rut. When I use it I only turn it over 2 maybe 3 times max, about 8-10 seconds apart.Any more than this seems to spook the deer. Also, I will only use it when I see a buck that is quite a ways away or calling blindly.
Good luck!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:10 PM

I forgot to say that last night I saw a buck chasing a doe around my stand for a few minutes. The second rut should be getting going here pretty quick, if not already.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:29 PM

Yea, I actually found a rub that appeared to have been freshened recently, so I think maybe you are correct Dan.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Silent as a mouse has always worked the best for me during late season. If I see a buck with his nose to the ground, or a buck that is looking aggressive I'll try a few grunts. For the most part I just try and blend in and hunt funnels.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

GregH,
I'm in VA (Fredericksburg area). I've only gotten bucks to respond to deep grunts during the full hot & heavy first rut.

I have gotten pretty good at calling does in pretty regular, during any part of the season, and sometimes, you know who is following them.

I use the "original" can from Primos, along with my true talker. When using the true talker I place my finger at the mid point in the adjustment area to create a higher pitch tending doe grunt.

Pretending to be a lost fawn seems to be the best way that I can tell, to bring in the doe. I only use the true talker as described above if after a while nothing seemed interested in the can. The tending grunt is to establish that mama came in to help out her fawn, in case something may be interested inmama, that wasn't interested in the can.

Be carefulwith the"can". On a fewoccasions, I've used it not realizing that some does were in close (like 80 yards) and they took off. I think thatonce they get close enough they can tell it's a fake. So if I'm not sure I'llput the can in my pocket to quiet it down a little.

I've also found that if you tie something to the line you use to pull up your pack and weapon (I use a single hefty antler) and lower it to the ground to where it is just touching the ground, with no slack, you can create some noise on the ground that sounds like hooves.

I got a nice buck this way once. I had used the can in an attempt to cover my noises once I'd reached my stand and he came running in while I was half way up the tree. After a while I had to ascend since I was getting tired of hanging on 2x4's, but I guess he had already passed through. It was hard to tell since it was dark at the time. Once in the stand I used the can again and he came right back in. I couldn't believe it, it was as simple as calling my dog, but still too dark. The third time I tried it, he came back but wasn't in the mood to get close anymore and seemed spooked. He started to turn like he was going to leave, and I knew the can would scare him off at this distance (30 yards) so I used my line to stir the leaves below and he came right out in my lane. A few seconds later I'd just shot my first ever deer with a bow.

But, ever since him, they've been a lot harder.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

iVE HAD DOES CLOSE ENOUGH TO SPIT ON AND USED THE CAN FROM PRIMOS.THEY JUST RAISE THERE HEADS,AND LOOK AROUND,3-5 SEC.LATER THEY WENT BACK TO FEEDING.i PLAYED WITH THEM ONE TIME TILL DARK.THEN I SNORTED SO THEY WOULD RUN AND NOT SEE ME CLIMB DOWN.IM SURE THEY HAD HEARD A CALL BEFORE.THERES LOTS OF HUNTERS HERE.BUT THEY WERE IN A GOOD MOOD I GUESS.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doe in good moods, wow, what more can you ask for?

Pretty amazzzing....

I guess you believe they don't look up either?
Old 12-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year about this time I had a deer behind some brush at about 10 yards that should have emerged directly in my shooting lane had it continued on the trail it was on. After about 10 minutes of waiting impatiently, I gave it a small grunt, and it wheeled around and bolted. I couldnt tell if it was a buck or a doe, maybe it was a doe tired of being chased??