Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

That Smell

Old 11-14-2006, 03:01 PM

Default That Smell

I just opened up my washing machine and dryer to go through my usual washing with scent free, no uv, earth scent sport wash and dry with earth static cling towels and noticed that both units reeked of fabric softener and detergent, etc. Has anyone else ever noticed this? Is it better to flush the washer then wash or let the dryer run for a while before putting clothes in (low heat). I've always been very conscience of this kind of stuff for a long time, but I wonder if I'm doing any good now. I got busted yesterday for no reason and I'm trying to find a good answer for why. I go through very meticulous rituals from washing and drying, carrying in clothes, spraying down, etc. but I wonder if there are things in the washer and dryer we overlook. I know this might be anal but any thoughts?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:04 PM

Default RE: That Smell

I do notice it as well.....sometimes I take some no scent detergent and run it through again.....only other thing you might want to try is hand washing clothes and then leaving them outside to dry......i hate even taking a shower and coming out and using the towels that have fabric softner on them cause they smell....
Old 11-14-2006, 03:13 PM

I'm sure most know about how anal I am about scent anyway. What I do is put about a half an ounce of your scent free detergent in with a couple little scoops of baking soda in the washer and let it do a "Small" load or "Pre-wash". Then wash your clothes. Put a little baking soda in the dryer and let it run on Hi Heat for ten minutes, then put it on the lowest setting of heat with a fresh earth dryer sheet and throw the clothes in.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also make sure your lint filter is clean on your dryer. Or better yet hang them outside to dry.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:37 PM

I don't ever put my hunting clothes in the dryer I air dry them outside weather permittingand I don't know if me and wife are just weird but we leave the door to the washer open when it's not in use to keep it from getting musty and I think there is less detergent (Tide or whatever she's using this week) smell when I go to wash with the scent free detergent.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

High..the fellers is rite...baking sody an air dry..then plastic bag em tite..til you need em
Old 11-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe, the deer that busted you was down-wind!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:15 AM

After I wash my hunting clothes in scent free detergent I will soak them down in cover scent. I use an autumn cover scent or something similar and I will soak the clothes down and throw it in the dryer. Kinda like bakes the scent in. Havent been busted once this year. Had deer under me all season. I always keep all my clothing in a plastic tub in my truck. I will throw leaves and stuff in the bottom of the tub and put my clothes on top....seems to work
Old 11-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to keep my cloths in a tote with one of thoes sent biskuts in it. I use the white accorn, smells like crap when you put them on, but have not been sented in several years. I use sent loc too.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Run a prewash load with only scent free detergent. Spray them down with fall blend masking scent. Put them in the dryer with a couple of earth scent dryer sheets. Store them in your bin with some scent wafers and the dryer sheets when done. Smell nice and earthy [8D]