Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long do fawns stay with the mommas? >

How long do fawns stay with the mommas?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long do fawns stay with the mommas?

Old 11-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Spike

Default How long do fawns stay with the mommas?

The past two days I have seen a doe and her fawn. I didn't think anything about it yesterday but today I got to really take a look at the fawn and she is very small still. I hunt in Indiana so the deer get big quick, all that good corn and beans!!A week ago I saw three fawns off by their self and they were twice this ones size. I am just wanting to knowhow long they stay with their mom and ifI shot the doedo you thinkthe fawn would still servive? She must have been a late baby?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How long do fawns stay with the mommas?

If she's out of spots......she'll likely be OK.

If it's a doe fawn......I Think they stay with the doe group.....and likely will be with mama for life.

Buck fawns are run off (nature's way of stopping in-breeding) by mama prior to rutting activity.

I'm sure someone else here can eplain this better than me!

Jeff
Old 11-03-2006, 11:57 AM

we been talking about this at work we are seeing ALOT of deer with small spotted fawns with them good news is most have twins which is good sign herd is healthy
Old 11-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Spike

this one doesn't have spots just real small. I am a little afraid of shoting the doe cause I don't want the little one to die.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:26 PM

SBG is right on i have alwys heard same thing no spots no worries
Old 11-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The research I've seen says a couple things:

1. By this time of year, fawns are able to take care of themselves pretty much, so shooting the mother doe doesn't play a major factor in whether or not the fawn will survive the winter. The big factors are food supplies through the winter and how cold/snowy the winter is.

2. Other does will sometimes "adopt" fawns that lose their mothers through whatever means. Does often travel together and band into sort of loose groups (except during the rut) that feed and bed together.

Having said this, I don't like to shoot does that have smaller fawns with them- it's just a personal thing. But is okay to shoot does with fawns? Absolutely. As long as the spots are gone, I say they are all fair game.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Here in northwest arkansas I saw fawns with spots as late as mid-October. But with the mild temps and the extremely longbreeding seasonI've heard that alot of does are bred late thus the late fawns. But I've always been told, if the spots are gone they will survive. And also, I agree with SBGobblers..buck fawns are normally run off prior to the rut.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:26 PM

Yeah, if she's out of spots, she'll be fine. I think does pretty much stay with the mother their whole life. the bucks will leave at about 1 1/2 or so I think.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

I agree that if they are pretty much out of spots, they will be fine without momma! I saw a pair of buttonheads last night and I could barely make out a few white spots on the backs of both. They are not as white as a fawn, but you can still see the change in hair color.