Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Advice need on gut shot >

Advice need on gut shot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Advice need on gut shot

Old 11-03-2006, 05:16 PM

Default Advice need on gut shot

About an hour ago(5 pm)I shot at a doe, I beleive my arrow hit a small branch or something. They(deer) never seem to come out where you expect them too. But anyway I gut shot her(I,m pretty sure it was gutshot).The shot was at most 12 to 15 yards.I took my binoculars out and could see the green on thearrow, and stuff on the ground. I waited about 30 minutes andsnuck out my trail real quite. Should I wait till morning to even attempt to trail(it will be the coldest nite of the year here in south Louisiana) or try after several hours. I wasn't nervous at all and thought this was going to be the one.

What are my chances for recovery?

I,m really discouraged at this,if I can find her it will be my first w/ a bow.

Thanks guys
Old 11-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Advice need on gut shot

You didn't retrieve your arrow? It could have told us alot.
Definately wait untill morning.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Yup, wait. I would always give a gut shot at least 8 hours unless it is going to rain or be too warm.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

She wil lay down and die not far from where you shot her as long as she is not pushed. Let her die. She should be there in the morning.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

If you think its gut shot your best bet will be to leave it! Overnite if possible. Not sure how cool your temps. get down south by you. If it stays in the 30's you should be alright.
If you jump a gut shot deer your chances of finding it again are slim. All your doing then is just pushing it. I've heard of gut shot deer being jumped 20+ hours later only to lose it. Try looking first thing in the morning where you left off today. Good Luck!
Old 11-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Host of Hosts

You'll find her if you wait till morning, but be prepared for a restless night of tossing and turning. Let us know how you make out tommorrow.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Might Mite took the words out of my mouth. I hit a doe about two weeks ago a little far back on one side and came out behind the front leg on the other side! Obviously she was quartering away from me. Anyway, she ended up bedding down not 25 yards from the spot where she was shot. I could watch her until she finally died about 45 minutes later. I could not get another clean shot from my stand due to some brush in the way and I did not want to climb down and jump her so I just stayed put!! It turned out to be the right decision. She'll be nearby in the morning. Good luck!!
Old 11-03-2006, 05:35 PM

Brushhog,

Don't get down on yourself. This is a learning experience. Right now you are ok. Just be prepared to go find her tomorrow. Don't give up, and you will have your first bow deer.

Good luck

God bless

Old 11-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

wait till morning then go get her .keep looking till you find her. she will be around as long as you didn't spook her . good luck up date your results of your search
Old 11-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

youll find her but i dont want to be you tomm. field dressing her!![8D]

Quick Reply: Advice need on gut shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.