HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is my bait pile big enough? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/161540-my-bait-pile-big-enough.html)

Great White Buffalo 10-24-2006 10:51 PM

Is my bait pile big enough?

I have been experimenting with different sized bait piles and am trying to figure out if mine is big enough? I have concluded that the more bait I have the more deer i will see.?

I just dumped a pickup truck load of sugar beets off on it tonight, i figure i gotta have close to a ton of beets on there now. I can't wait to fire up the heater in my shack and see how many deer this thing draws in.

God I love the hunt!

bhensley 10-24-2006 11:10 PM

RE: Is my bait pile big enough?

I would hope so! Good luck with it.
Brandon

Fieldmouse 10-25-2006 05:18 AM

I'd get a truck load of corn to be safe. I always say,"If your going to catch a big fish you got to use big bait".

Good luck

lpv77 10-25-2006 05:29 AM

I would rethink your last sentence. " God I love the hunt"

wis_bow_huntr 10-25-2006 05:38 AM

Umm good luck you just made your deer go noctournal. Id cut back on the amount of bait. I dont have a single problem wiht baiting at all its a great management tool and works well when done properly. I think you put out way to much at one time.

wisbowhunter2009 10-25-2006 05:43 AM

I think you put way to much. When i bait i only put 2 gallons of corn out.

Campo 10-25-2006 06:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Great White Buffalo
God I love the hunt!
EDIT - Whether you agree or disagree w/baiting and people who hunt over bait is beside the point. What he's doing is legal and an effective method at managing the deer herd, which is the same thing everyone else is doing. Don't turn this thread into a debate over baiting or it'll get locked.

Thanks!
Justin

Talondale 10-25-2006 07:47 AM

Baiting is illegal in VA so I have no first hand experience but from what I've read you see more bucks and in the daylight when you don't put out as much bait. If the bait is a small amount and only dispenced in the morning the deer have to be sure they're the first ones there to get the bait or it's all gone. If it's an unlimited pile they can come when they feel like it, which for bucks usually means night.

YooperMike 10-25-2006 07:52 AM

From my experience with baiting, which I have done since I turned 14 and could hunt, is that you need to keep the bait a litle bit on the scarce side. We have always baited with corn, and we use 1 five gallon pail, and spread it liberally around, I would say like a 15 yard circle. One thing this does is it allows for more deer to come, because they are not competing over thesame kernel of corn as they are able to spread out. Also, if there is food there that is going to be disappearing and then re-appearing after you bait, we have found that the deer check the area more often. Almost like they swing by to see if any new bait is there, and then move along, especially in the morning. The times we have gotten big loads of bait, beets especially, we have generally seen fewer deer. It is strange how it works, but it sure seems to be the case. I really enjoy hunting over bait because you get too see lots of critters, whether you shoot one or not, especially for young hunters. Good luck this year!

Germ 10-25-2006 08:01 AM

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

From my experience with baiting, which I have done since I turned 14 and could hunt, is that you need to keep the bait a litle bit on the scarce side. We have always baited with corn, and we use 1 five gallon pail, and spread it liberally around, I would say like a 15 yard circle. One thing this does is it allows for more deer to come, because they are not competing over thesame kernel of corn as they are able to spread out. Also, if there is food there that is going to be disappearing and then re-appearing after you bait, we have found that the deer check the area more often. Almost like they swing by to see if any new bait is there, and then move along, especially in the morning. The times we have gotten big loads of bait, beets especially, we have generally seen fewer deer. It is strange how it works, but it sure seems to be the case. I really enjoy hunting over bait because you get too see lots of critters, whether you shoot one or not, especially for young hunters. Good luck this year!
Here is hunter who knows how to bait the correct way.

The less bait you put out the more it becomes a "competion" for the deer to get to it.

If you put a truck load of corn out, the deer will know it is there, and more than likely come to it at night.

Good luck!