Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 iNDIANA DNR to allow pistols during archery season >

iNDIANA DNR to allow pistols during archery season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

iNDIANA DNR to allow pistols during archery season

Old 10-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: iNDIANA DNR to allow pistols during archery season

Here in NH, our bear season runs concurrent with the archery deer season. I carry my TC Encore pistol in .308 just in case a bear is out of bow range and I want to light him up. There is also no closed season on coyotes, they are a target of opportunity that I would smoke with the pistol as well.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Where did you find this out
Old 10-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Spike

Where did you find this out
You can read DNR's press release about here:
http://www.in.gov/serv/presscal?PF=dnr&Clist=11&Elist=87371

Most of the focus has been on handguns allowed in state parks, but carrying a handgun while hunting was part of the change.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

The kind of people that have concealed weapons permits and bowhunt are NOT the kind of people that poach in most cases. I don't see what the problem is.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Site Buck Guru

It takes a pretty big set to try and pass off a bullet hole as an archery kill. Someone will do it, but not many IMO.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HCTurkeyHunter

Yeah you got the right to bear arms, but not in all situations. Remember that hunting is a privilage regardless of what you may think. And privilages have guidelines that you must follow.
So is driving but that doesn't mean you can't bear arms in your vehicle.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 AM
FMJ

Being from IN myself I am ALL in favor of being allowed to carry my LEGALLY concealed firearm while bowhunting. 1st here in IN we have what is known as "Castle doctrine" law......also known as No Retreat law. Meaning if a 2 legged varmit (predator) attempts to accost me while legally hunting (or any other activity) i have no legal burden to retreat.

beinga hunter of deer both bow and firearm for some 20+ years now, i have often wanted that extra bit of insurance walking to and from my stand at all hours of the day and night.....you just NEVER know when some scumbag will decide he wants your gear or vehicle more than you do.

In truth, a poacher is a poacher...a thief is a thief...a slimeball is a slimeball and NO Law will change that....this just makes us LAW ABIDING hunters a touch safer in our passion.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm all for those types of rules. We have just been given the same opportunity here in PA. Great law. A poacher will poach regardless of the laws. I really doubt that anyone is going to kill a deer any easier trying to hit it with a compact 9mm, than they could with a modern compound.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kenman

A slob hunter is gonna break the rules regardless. We have the right to bear arms regardless of what we are doing (within reason). I say if you wanna pack heat, pack the heat. Shame on the Indiana DNR for outlawing handguns while bowhunting in the first place.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

You take a dangerous position when you get between our second ammendment rights ........ [>:]

Quick Reply: iNDIANA DNR to allow pistols during archery season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.