Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Doe snorting at me......... >

Doe snorting at me.........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe snorting at me.........

Old 10-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Doe snorting at me.........

I just got back from my evening hunt and something I've never experienced before happened. It was in the last minutes of daylight, this doe comes in from behind, scent checking, but didn't pick my scent up. She comes in, off to my right side, which is a shot I wasn't set up for, so I had to turn. As I turn and raise the bow to draw, she sees me and runs back behind the stand and looks at me. Then she leaves the area, at least I thought she did. I couldn't see through the branches and leaves, but she stayed in the area snorting for a good 3 minutes or so. Is this to be expected everytime I get busted? If it is I've never experienced it before. I know a snort a an alarm to all of the deer in the area, but I've never experienced it before. Why didn't she just run away, why did she snort so much?

I'm new to bowhunting this year and it's my 4th hunt of the season. This is my 2nd day in this stand and I think I've worn out my welcome at it. I've been using Tinks Draw 2 on 4 scent wicks, the deer don't go up to them and smell them, which is a disappointment. I also had a small looking deer trot past my stand just minutes before this doe. It looked like a coyote in the fading light, but it was a small deer. I'm interested in learning more about this doe and what's behind the snorting. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:18 PM

Default RE: Doe snorting at me.........

Im really not sure why they just dont run away, But i know i have had them just run stop stare then just start snortin away. But normmaly after you spook one they will run stop and look back at ya and then start there snortin.

Befor the season started this year i was out scoutin and spooked a fawn and it ran about 40 yds away from me then stoped snorted (i hid behind a tree) and tried to find me, but couldnt so i guess it was wonderin where i went so it just started walkin around tryin to find me, It ende up comin like 15 yds away from me and never new i was there. It was pretty cool.

But yes you will hear that alot when your out huntin
Old 10-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

I guess I'm educating the local deer to my location now. I wonder if deer can communicate the source of the danger to each other in specific terms. Something like, "I saw a hunter 18 ft up in that tree yesterday".
I know they communicate in primitive ways, but damn they are smart.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

When they bust you they are really agitated, but still really curious.
I have read that deer like to confirm things with 2 of their senses; sight and smell, or smell and hearing, or any combination, I figure the deer sensed a threat but couldn't identify it so she stuck around at what she felt was a safe distance out of curiosity.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:25 PM

More than likely she didnt smell you or she would have been gone. When she caught your movement she ran and then looked back and started snorting? This is probably because she saw the movement but when looking back at you she couldnt make you out. She didnt know what you were so she stayed in the area trying to figure out if you were something that shouldnt be there or not. This is common while hunting, and im sure you'll have more experiences like this over the years.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:32 PM

All i know is that when you hear snorting, that usually means that you got youyr a55 busted. I have also had it happen to me before.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:36 PM
vgc

had it happen to me same way last week
Old 10-11-2006, 07:36 PM

Good time to make a little deer noise and settle 'em down soldier.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:39 PM

sounds a lot like something that happend to me a couple years back while turkey hunting.I was set up right on a creek crossing and had my black back pack with me. I laid it on the ground by a tree behind me and while I was sitting there waiting for the birds to come by I was all of a sudden being snorted at by 2 or 3 different does. They would snort and stompfor a minute, then go back the way they came, then come back a couple minutes later and start in again. This happend several times over 15-20 minutes until I finally figured out that they saw my pack not me. Once I moved my pack they walked on through with no problem whatsoever.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:39 PM

Jachunter...I have also heard about doing this but didnt know if it would work or not. I heard that if a deer snorts and doesnt leave the area that snorting back at it will help calm it down. What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Doe snorting at me.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.