HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Broadheads that fly like field points. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/156966-broadheads-fly-like-field-points.html)

NewbHunter 09-19-2006 10:33 AM

Broadheads that fly like field points.

Hey guys i was looking to buy some new broadheads but im not really sure what i should go and pick up. I want something that flys like field points so i dont have to be messing with tuning my bow all the time. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-19-2006 10:39 AM

RE: Broadheads that fly like field points.

I don't recommend that at all. Mechanicals and that is what I assume your asking for are not excuse to not keeping your bow tuned. Making a shortcut of a mechanical isn't utilizing the mechanicals to their potential and perhaps could even hamper penetration etc....

All broadheads, perhaps all will fly like field points. I'm currently getting field points, Muzzy's and RM Snypers to fly pefect. First and foremost, tune your bow or your going to have problems.

RiverBottomBowHunter 09-19-2006 10:39 AM

I used the muzzy phantom last year and they worked great, but I could not get them to fly like field points. This year I bought the grim reaper razortip and also the rocky mtn snyper. They both flew awesome. I did notice the G R makes a little noise while flying though. I don't know which I will use. Hopefully I can pop a doe with each one.

NewbHunter 09-19-2006 10:50 AM

Well my bow is actually tuned in pretty good. Everything seems alright. Im hitting inside a 2" circle at 30 yards so not bad. But for some reason when i put on brodheads it doesnt fly the same.

What i mean is that i dont want to be moving my sights all the time because i shoot year round from field points to broadheads. If im practicing in my back yard i'll shoot my bh's but when i go shoot at basspro or something i use field points. So all the back and forth can get frustrating.

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I don't recommend that at all. Mechanicals and that is what I assume your asking for are not excuse to not keeping your bow tuned. Making a shortcut of a mechanical isn't utilizing the mechanicals to their potential and perhaps could even hamper penetration etc....

All broadheads, perhaps all will fly like field points. I'm currently getting field points, Muzzy's and RM Snypers to fly pefect. First and foremost, tune your bow or your going to have problems.

BTBowhunter 09-19-2006 12:07 PM

I always hear a lot about tuning the bow and thats an absolute must, but I seldom hear guys recommend tuning the arrows. The arrow with a broadhead attached should spin like a top with no wobble when placed on the palm of your hand and spun. Any wobble indicates a misaligned broadhead. Shooting a well tuned bow withmisaligned broadheads is like statring down a dragstrip with a top fuel dragster with the front wheels cocked to the side.

If they dont spin right, They can be realigned by gently heating where the insert isglued with thehot melt and turning the insert till the head is aligned properly

ilovehunting 09-19-2006 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: NewbHunter

Well my bow is actually tuned in pretty good. Everything seems alright. Im hitting inside a 2" circle at 30 yards so not bad. But for some reason when i put on brodheads it doesnt fly the same.

What i mean is that i dont want to be moving my sights all the time because i shoot year round from field points to broadheads. If im practicing in my back yard i'll shoot my bh's but when i go shoot at basspro or something i use field points. So all the back and forth can get frustrating.

I did the same thing. I got my bow tuned in(papertuned and sighted in) I then bought the rage 2 blade 100 grain heads. I got them because of the same reason you did. I will be shooting state and national tournaments and I dont have the money to buy a target bow so I got somthing that flew like my points since my bow is tuned in perfectly for my target shooting. Nothing wrong with going with somthing that flies like your points just make sure that your bow is tuned like everyone else has been saying.

NewbHunter 09-19-2006 04:31 PM

I did the same thing. I got my bow tuned in(papertuned and sighted in) I then bought the rage 2 blade 100 grain heads. I got them because of the same reason you did. I will be shooting state and national tournaments and I dont have the money to buy a target bow so I got somthing that flew like my points since my bow is tuned in perfectly for my target shooting. Nothing wrong with going with somthing that flies like your points just make sure that your bow is tuned like everyone else has been saying.
The rage 2 blade are the ones i went to go buy at basspro yesterday but they didnt have them. They are all out. Those are the ones i really want but i have to look into our public land regulations because im not sure if we can use expandables.
[/quote]

DaveC 09-19-2006 05:07 PM

The most forgiving fixed heads that I have shot to date have been the Stingers. They have required the least amount of tweaking for my set-ups.

But the snyper/ rage 2 may not be a bad option either.

mobow 09-19-2006 05:22 PM

I just shot a doe with a Magnus Stinger last evening, and what an impressive sight watching the flight of that arrow! She was 25 yards, and that thing was a lazer beam! And man oh man, what a blood trail. I also have 2 arrows w/ Rocket Hammerheads attached, strictly for turkey.

Turkey63 09-19-2006 07:45 PM

The best I've found are Slick Trick 4 blades, 1" 100 gr. - 1 1/8" 125 gr.
Cut one heck of a hole, built very well and the best flying I've found in
22 years of bowhunting. I've killed deer and hogs with them and they are the best I've ever used. I videoed myselflast fall on a hog kill witha slick trick broadhead, dropped him!