Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting Deer during rain (tracking) >

Shooting Deer during rain (tracking)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting Deer during rain (tracking)

Old 09-15-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Shooting Deer during rain (tracking)

Im heading up north for opening day of bow and the weather station predicts heavy rain. I can seegun hunting in the rain, but how do you guys feel about bowhunting in the rain?Howdo you find a blood trail if it is raining steadily?I would think that whatever blood the deer has lost would get washed away. What does everybody else think?Also if I do hit one in the rain should I track it right away or wait for a few hours like I normally would?
Old 09-15-2006, 01:24 PM

Default RE: Shooting Deer during rain (tracking)

1.) I've never killed a whitetail that didn't die within sight of my stand so I don't worry about rain too much while deer hunting.
2.) If you're a good tracker you should be able to follow it up without the blood, although a good blood trail does make it a lot easier.
3.) Give it time to die. I'd rather have a short tough tracking job ending at a dead deer than a long sparse blood trail from pushing the deer in front of me.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

First thing is when I'm hunting in the rain I limit my shots to 20 yards and under. You really have to watch your arrow and make sure that you know exactly where you hit the deer. Watch the deer as it runs off also and see if you can see it fall if not pay close attention to the trail that it's taking. And remeber slow slow slow when your tracking. In the rain it's easy to miss sign that you normally wouldn't miss. Good Luck!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've taken a few in the rain.

I'd suggest doing as was mentioned above. Limit your shots to shorter range than you would shoot on a nice day.

One thing I've noticed, the blood trails seemed to have an excessive amount of blood. This was because the blood was mixed with the water on leaves and such making the blood trail appear to heavier.

I did not wait very long before tracking either. Because the shots were close I was able to make a very good hit and knew the deer were hit pretty hard and wouldn't go far.

Now I wasn't hunting in a down pour. It was more like a light rain.

I would recommend tracking very soon after the shot. Allowing too much time may wash the trail away completely.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:35 PM

I shot a buck with my bow about 5 years ago and I went to lunch to give him some time to die. I cam back and it was raining[:@] It took, me, my brother, and my 2 buddies (on all fours flipping leaves at certain times) and a boat load of toilet paper to finally track that deer down..........and it only went 100 yards.

Tracking in the rain is not impossible but it is harder........unless you blasted him and there is blood everywhere of course.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is just tracking 101, but have a pair of bino's ready. I like to watch the deer as long as I can. From this you may be able to tell how good a hit you got.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't give advice anymore. Can't tell you. You're on your own.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:27 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

You're such an asset, David.

I limit my shots to 20 yards and make sure they're broadside.

I won't hunt in a downpour anymore, but a slight drizzle wont keep me from climbing into my stand and waiting for the right shot.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think someone needs a Hug!!!

Dave I will showyou some love
Old 09-16-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ghemry

I think someone needs a Hug!!!

Dave I will showyou some love

HUGS? I think someone needs his prostate checked by a female doctor.. And then have her milk it to make sure it still works..

Quick Reply: Shooting Deer during rain (tracking)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.