Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "New" bow setup... >

"New" bow setup...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"New" bow setup...

Old 08-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default "New" bow setup...

My "new" bow finally arrived Friday, so I spent a few hours trying to get it set up so I could shoot. Here's the specs.

2001 (used) Martin Phantom Magnum
27" (I'm a 30" draw, but it's module adjustable and I'll have order the modules)
its at about 64# (rough estimation and that's what oneshot said when he sold it to me....)
Whiskerbisquit (deluxe but not the quickshot)
Shooting 28" carbon arrows with 2" blazers straight fletched
2 pin Cobra F/O sight w/ rubber tube peep.

First thing I did was put an arrow in it and draw it back with a release given to me from someone here on HNI. Just to check drawlength and what not. Went to let it down... and THWACK!!!.... one hole in the wall and a really dirty look from the wife. Release failed on me, so I got a cheapo caliper release from W... Wallll...... the evil place. Those of you who've read many of my posts probably know how I feel about Walmart, but I honestly cannot afford to buy from a proshop right now. Lesser of two evils... Wa... walll.... .... or not get to bowhunt.... hmmm... not much of a choice there.

I replaced the knock point because the old one was all mangled and off square with the rest. used a bow-square and got the new one on there. Added a release loop, left it about an inch long(way too long???) in hopes of getting it a little more comfortable to shoot untill the mod's come in. The peep was about an inch too low on the string for a comfortable anchor point so I moved it up. Managed to do this without removing the serving string holding it in which later turned out to be not so good. About 50 shots into my first session the serving around the peep broke and it started sliding up the string when I drew back. I thought about retieing it with dental floss untill I can get my hands on some serving string. Cheap short term fix, or asking for trouble???

I hadthe peepset about 5-6" above the nock point. I'm thinking I should move it down and just get used to the anchor point since I had to move the sight up nearly as far as it would go to get POI down to the POA.

All in all with mostly eyeballed tuning the arrows appeared to be flying very straight with no noticeablekicking in any direction. Bow is quiet enough that I couldnt hear the bow over the arrow hitting the cheap bag target at 20 yds. Grouping was really good when I could acheive a solid form, which is surprisingly difficult with a too-short draw. Can't wait to get the draw modules($25.00 + sh, direct from martin)... but that will in turn require new arrows which I can't afford right now. When I was doing my part adequately it was 2-3" at 20 yds. Enough to kill a deer, but still not where I want it. Once I backed up to 10 yds after making sure the new sight would hit the target, my 3rd group all three were touching. I will get it paper tuned soonwhich should make this thing killer accurate.

Overall, even with all the work that still needs to be done, I'm fairly satisfied with the progress. This is going to be an interesting experiment in just how cheaply a guy can get into bowhunting and have a solid, dependable, accurate rig.

For you picture junkies, I'll try to get some pics and post them this week.

The string is going to NEED to be replaced soon, as it's fraying and the serving is looking pretty worn. Add that to the list of things I can't afford right now. Hopefully it'll make it thru one season and I'll replace it next spring.

As for broadheads, I think I'm going to splurge and get some 4 blade stingers. I want to use helical feathers anyways sothey should shoot great.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "New" bow setup...

I thought about retieing it with dental floss untill I can get my hands on some serving string. Cheap short term fix, or asking for trouble???
No, dental floss is a fantastic solution for that... Lots of people do that very thing with great results.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

well i hope you like it and it does really group great bro hope you enloy it and i know where to get all the strings and cables at a really good price shipped or you can get gibblett to do them which is great also so have good luck and fun
Old 08-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Greg, I'll definitely have to try that then....

I'm planning on getting Giblet to do it for me... just don't have the funds right now.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is not a bad choice at all david adn i also heard that dental floss works well as the serving
Old 08-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Blah.... Last night I'm shooting, everything's gowing good, groups are shrinking.... consistently touching at 10 yds, the way it should be... I'm even down to 3 of the 4 arrows cause the blazer got shaved off one of them....

about 30 shots into my session, I draw back and *poing*, the rubber comes off the peep.... dang it.... but the peep didn't rotate or move so I took the shot anyways.... straight hit, no biggie... i go pull my arrows and come back to pick up and shoot again, and the peep's gone.... I looked around on the patio and nothing.... flew off into the yard I guess.... guess now I gotta get a new one(no rubber this time), or learn to shoot without one... [:'(]
Old 08-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Davoh, I don't mean this as being disrespectful because I feel your frusteration but you made me laugh. I love your enthusiasm for this whole thing and I really hope that you drop the biggest buck in your county this year. Your enthusiasm alone is inspiring for everyone or anyone who takes the time to read your thread. Thanks and keep us posted will ya?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

wow sounds like alot of trouble to get going on. but i know and im sure many of us know what boat your in.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Rob, I'll happy if I get a big fat squirrel at this rate...

Like a buddy of mine says... "If ya aint gotta tinker with it, it aint no fun...."

Hey, it shoots great!... When I can get it to stay together...Honestly, I've never had so much fun with something this frustrating... LOL but the harder it is to acheive, the more worthwhile the effort, right?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Davoh

Rob, I'll happy if I get a big fat squirrel at this rate...

Like a buddy of mine says... "If ya aint gotta tinker with it, it aint no fun...."

Hey, it shoots great!... When I can get it to stay together...Honestly, I've never had so much fun with something this frustrating... LOL but the harder it is to acheive, the more worthwhile the effort, right?
I 100% agree with you my friend...keep up the uh...great work. Before you know it, that whitetail will lay on the ground in front of you.

Quick Reply: "New" bow setup...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.