Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas >

Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas

Old 08-18-2006, 10:52 AM

Default Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas

I'm going to be bow hunting in Rock Springs for the first time. I've never hunted anywhere around there before. Any tips you can give to help me get ready???
-D
Old 08-18-2006, 11:04 AM

Default RE: Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas

no tips needed........the deer population is large in that area. I have hunted there and there was plenty of deer to choose from. they seem to come to corn really good. good luck and have fun
Old 08-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

I've hunted out there all my life.

1) Make certain you have everything you could possibly need. Kerrville is the nearest walmart. The small little Grocery store there in town is a ma&pop place. They keep a small bit of hunting stuff on hand like shirts and gloves and hats and stuff but that's about it.

If you'll be driving through town after 9 or 10 pm, stop for gas in Kerrville, the 1 or 2 gas stations will be closed.

Like the guy said the deer typically come to corn well. Especially if the property has been fed year round. Deer populations depend on the property. There arealot ofday lease operations out there thatreally overhunt their properties.

Are you leasing property out there?

Also, if you go to the feed and tack store off the main drag(a block or two) go in and ask them how the rain has been this summer. I havn't been keeping up with it this year like I usually do. If the rain has been really light, try to hunt corn feeders near water holes..... You should see lots of deer that way. Once when I was a kid I counted 25 deer around my stand(at one time) because of the low acorn crop.

Some of the best places to see deer are draws and live oak flats..... Skirt the edges of areas with lots of Cedar. The deer will bed in the Cedar but will feed in the live oak flats on the acorns.

Uneven rocky terrain so wear good solid boots, and watch out for that prickly pear!
Old 08-18-2006, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll be driving in from the Houston area, so I'm sure we will need to stop for gas and some forgotten supplies.

There are feeders on the property, but not sure how well they've been kept. The manager had a container pond dug and a well drilled, so there's a place to watch them come in. I don't think they've been getting to much rain if any. I have some friends in Bandera that said the rain is short and light when it does come.

It's a company lease with about five actual hunters on 2k acres. Shouldn't be a problem there....lol....
Old 08-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

What company are you with?.... that sounds alot like one of our neighbors!

Go to http://maps.yahoo.com/beta

Follow your directions to the lease and you'll be able to get aerial photos.

Oh BTW, I'm in Houston too. Will you be out there in October, or November? If you top off in Columbus on your way out of town, you should be able to make it to Kerrvile on a tank of gas. Don't bother with the Loops around San Antonio. They're more trouble than they're worth.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Small world fellas, I just topped off in Rocksprings a couple of days ago on my way to my (new this year) lease that sits between DelRio & Rocksprings (~40 miles to each).
The burger joint in Rocksprings is worth of holding out for if lunchtime should find you in the area- good burgers & friendly staff.

The loop around San Antonio is a waste of time? that's the way the guys I ride with go andI was wondering if they were going off old data. I'll try the straight through shot next time.

Top off in Kerrville if your tank is looking iffy at that point(IMHO) I've rolled into Rocksprings pegging "E" more than once. Not a good feeling. I carry extra gas now anyways. Kerrville has a DQ & Wataburger among other joints to make the stop worth while.

ICE- I found by using larger chunk ice instead of cubesI could make my ice hold for the entire 3 day trip- I also placed the cooler inside the camp house that is A/C ed at night. It was 105 in the shade according to the porch thermometer. My trucks tempgauge showed 102.

As far as deer go, let us know what you get- so farI know were loaded in PIGS[>:]. Oh well, they will catch a broadhead and eat well.

I've got 2 areas set up as "my" areas witha total of 2 tripods, one quad pod, 2 ground blinds & one box blind (for the wifey & son). There is one box blind over looking the area on each spot on the sides of what we all mountains.I can see they are up there, but haven't figured out how to get to them yet [8D]. 105f in the shade kinda removes my hill climbing tendencies.

Davoh, any tips or secrets to pass along? How about rattlesnakes? I've got some snake boots, but am not sure if they are necessary?

Here is a good place to look & see how the rain was for the previous 24 hours- http://www.intellicast.com/IcastPage/LoadPage.aspx?loc=kdrt&seg=LocalWeather&pr odgrp=HistoricWeather&product=YesterdaysRadarL oop&prodnav=none
Old 08-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's good country around Rocksprings. Rugged but scenic. Watch the rattlesnakes....might be good to review your snakebite procedures. Good deer and a lot of them. Have fun!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:51 PM

Davoh,
Where abouts in Houston? I'm out South of Waller.
The lease is on a ranch called Martindale Ranch. It's high fenced on three sides. I think me and two otherson the lease are the first bow hunters the lease has seen....
We are planning a trip in November.

DaveC,
Supposedly, theres not to many pigs on the property..... I don't minda few... The property manager said take'em all!!! And I will....lol...

The company I work for is having seven 4x8x8 box blinds built. Last I heard they were just shy of putting on the roofs. Other than that its a tri-pod or two and some open ground blinds.... They are using corn feeders and protein feeders and I think they have a few turkey feeders as well....

I need to get up there soon and scout out the place and claim a spot that I can bow hunt all season long... Awayfrom the boys w/ rifles.

I'm originally froma town up near Amarillo, so I've been around plenty of rattlers.... I might just go get me some snake boots..... Know ofa good inexpensive pair??

-D

Old 08-19-2006, 01:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ddeblance, how does the 4x8x8 work? is it 4' on the front and 8' in the rear with an 8' roof? That would be interesting to see.

Watch your tripod height. I brought a 10' & a 14' and the 14' is really too tall for the area I was looking to place it. The 10' and below will beeasier to "hide" in various stand locations.Not that we don't have tree's over 14', they just weren't always where I was wishing them to be.

My ground blinds are the cheaper portables (~$100 shipped). If the mice chew on them while they are upI won't shed any tears.

I'd go with a mobile 10' tripod at first. The one I have collapses and is easily moved. If the wind is wrongI can snag it up and walk over to a right wind .

Turkeys- some of the ranches around Rocksprings are loaded with turkeys. Corn buzzards are what they are sometimes referred to as. They'll clean out a morning throw in no-time.

My only advice on the snake boots is trying them on before you buy. I went into Academy thinkingI would be walking out with the Rockies, but they didn't feel that good on my flat feet (actually felt pretty bad), so I ended up with some "Magellan’s" which felt much better. I noticed them in either bass pro or cabalas wearing their brand name- so hopefully they aren't too bad. Had I ordered the Rockies I'd had to return them.
I know Academy, bass-pro & cabalas are selling them in different brands all around ~$100.00 & up, you might find a $79.00 pair every now and again. Let's just hope we don't ever test them out .

BTW, there are some ranches in the area with free roaming exotics (axis &Black buck) what are the rules on your ranch if any should show up while you're hunting?

Old 08-19-2006, 03:23 AM

Not my design, but the blinds they had made are 4x8x8 (WxDxH)
I think the tripods are 10 footers....I'll have to move them around once i get up there to check the place out.
Where did you get your ground blinds?

I'm with you on the snake boots... Not out to be writingany customer reviews...lol..

I'mnot fully up to speed on the exotics. My boss has bought a few cudde'sso I have about 700 pics from cows butts to blackbucks.likeI said in the begining the property isgame fenced, but only on three sides. So they are free roaming. Don't know the rules of engagement yet...

They have axis on the property, but I didn't see them on cam. I would like to take one......

Quick Reply: Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.