Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Flying with a bow? >

Flying with a bow?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Flying with a bow?

Old 08-16-2006, 05:33 AM

Default Flying with a bow?

Has anyone done it? Any pointers? Any suggestions?

I will be flying back to Wisconsin from Marylandat the end of October for Bow Season. I plan on taking Northwest Airlines.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Flying with a bow?

hmm good question.......id make sure its in a hardshell case, locked, and then put in a shipping crate. more than likely youll get asked a whole mess of questions.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Make sure you call ahead and ask the airline what thier regulations are.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:50 AM

Make sure you keep the hard bow case UN-Locked untill the check it in or look at it in line I had it zip-tie and I had to cut them for 5 seconds of a so called inspection. then after that luckily I had extra zips I put them right back on.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Put anything you can in the hard case such as cameras, cell phone maybe cause you can't take a cell phone on flight with you as of right now. They will want to look inside at check in, after that, lock it and wrap it shut with duck tape. On the return trip if you have meat to send back you might want to ship your bow back UPS to save on luggage requirements, that's what my group does.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Put anything you can in the hard case such as cameras, cell phone maybe cause you can't take a cell phone on flight with you as of right now. They will want to look inside at check in, after that, lock it and wrap it shut with duck tape. On the return trip if you have meat to send back you might want to ship your bow back UPS to save on luggage requirements, that's what my group does.
It never even dawned on me to send it via UPS. Good idea and probably a lot less of a hassle.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:09 AM

Flying Northwest to Montana from PA. I have a hard sided aluminum case. They checked it at the gate and I just locked it and off we went. Packed some extra clothes around the bow. The metal case I have will not get damaged by anything other than someone driving over it. I also used a sharpie marker and outlined some key points on my bow. Arrow rest, site position. This allowed me to know when we arrived that nothing really bad happened. Took a shot into a target at a house near the airport. Driving down the road noticed a target in the yard and asked the kind folks and took a shot and had a cold beer. Really nice people in Montana. Did that before I left civilization, because no bow shops etc back where we were.

Have fun.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

I don't reccomend it... the extra weight really wears out your arms... *flap flap*

[8D]
Old 08-16-2006, 07:14 AM

Just make sure you have a quality hard case. We purchased a double SBK for our bows after Southwest killed one of our hard plastic cases. Bow was ok but the case had the side totally broken out of it. We only use cases now that have a warranty and are "airline safe". Leave your case unlocked until it is checked and you can put any other hunting equipment in the case as well.....such as knives etc that you want to take.
Good luck and hunt safe
Diann

By the way.....if you don't want everything "killed"....do not go UPS. Those guys can be pretty rough on stuff. I receive a lot of items UPS and you would be shocked at the condition of some of the boxes......
Old 08-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fed Ex, UPS, USPS, theres many ways to ship it. Best of luck on your hunt. I'll be flying to Colorado Sept 1 for an elk hunt with my new Allegence. Hope to draw first blood with it then.

Quick Reply: Flying with a bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.