Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand? >

How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

Old 06-14-2006, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

Just Curious. But, how does everyone compensate for shooting from an elevated stand? Do you hold low or move your pins during elevated practice?

I usually stay around 20 feet with my stand and I have not noticed a big difference in point of impact at 10 yards and beyond. I suppose the angular differenceis not steep enough to change the point of impact.

What does everyone else find?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

I will typically draw the bow and anchor as if the target was directly in front of me. Once anchored, I will then bend at the waist to bring my whole upper body facing down till I am on target. Watch the bubble closely, then start to pull through the shot. I don't really need compensate then.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also don't forget to shoot for the horizontal distance to the target.....in other words shoot the distance as measured from the base of your tree to the animal not from your stand height to the target.(assuming that is a straight and level line)
This is even more of factor if your stand is set on a sidehill and the animal is on the downhill side. Only now you have to figure the distance from the base of your tree to a point ABOVE the target on a straight level line. In this case you would try to figure the distance from the base of your tree to a point at that same level next to the target. Does that make sense?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

There's nothing else to know: Rick and Matt told you eveything; keep those two points in mind, and you'll be bringing meat home with every shot!

And be sure to practice from elevated positions, even if it means setting your treestand up prior to season just so you can.

Also, I carry an arrow with a field tip in my quiver (I've seen discussions saying some states don't allow that, so carry an extra field tip in your pocket or daypack) and pick out a leaf at 20 yards or so and shoot that before coming down at the end of each morning hunt for practice.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Rick and Mike...I have bow hunted since the early '70s...I think hunters that miss, use this as an excuse....If you bend at the waist, to keep your anchor point consistant and know the distance from the base of the tree to your target, you will have no problems....You do need to practice with your hunting gear on...I find with a head net that I shoot high, because I don't find my anchor point easily, so I either use face paint, or slip my face mask down when the deer comes in....Good Luck
Old 06-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or just buy a good pendulum sight.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pendulum sight all the way for me, but Im a 90% tree stand hunter. I know you soil suckers will disagree, but, with my pendulum sight I can lock it out and shoot from the ground and from a squirrels view with confidence and no guessing.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that proper form is a must. And to that end a pendulum sight will not help if your form is improper. I know. I've tried several just to compare them to my single fixed pin. If you bend at thewaist, keeping the upper body in a "T" configuration there is little change in POI at a given distance.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

You simply have to try it and see what it does to you and how much. My wife and I it makes different amounts of difference, neither of which is enough to worry about hunting.

For the horizontal distance folks, run the numbers, you will be within 1-2 yards unless you go very highand shoot close. With any modern bow the point of impact on a 1-2 yard distance change, at treestand hunting distances, it trivial.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never had to compensate at all. Like I said, I only shoot from about 20’ and I don’t shoot at steep downward angles. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same phenomenon.

The horizontal distance estimation is an often used rule of thumb. However, it is subject to error at steep angles. The real reason for the difference in point of impact is change (decrease) in angle between gravity and arrow direction of forward travel.

Quick Reply: How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.