Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand? >

How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

Old 06-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

Most say bend at the waist. I say flex the forward knee. It automatically tips you into the correct position. Of course befire you know what happens from above you have to practice it. SHoot everything from 30 in to straight down and see what happens. DO it often.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I notice no real difference in point of impact. This leads me to question the theory behind pendulum sights. Most of us agree that there is no real difference as long as your form is consistent. So what's the point of a pendulum sight then? Is it just a marketing gimmick?
Old 06-15-2006, 12:51 PM

I concur with Diesel! Pendulum is the way to go if your hunting out of a tree stand 90% of the time! Trophy Ridge mantis is awesome! Plus you can lock it down when your on the ground!
ORIGINAL: Diesel77

Pendulum sight all the way for me, but Im a 90% tree stand hunter. I know you soil suckers will disagree, but, with my pendulum sight I can lock it out and shoot from the ground and from a squirrels view with confidence and no guessing.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

Just Curious. But, how does everyone compensate for shooting from an elevated stand? Do you hold low or move your pins during elevated practice?
I don't use sights , so I just raise the deer up a mite ...
Old 06-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Dominant Buck

so I just raise the deer up a mite ...
Perfect answer. I love it.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bend my front knee and stick my butt out, Puts ya right in the proper alignment.

As far as pendulum sights go, my experience has been that the pendulum is dead on to its max distance, where as a fixed pin will not shoot that way. Close in, POI is a couple inches high, and gets back to the pin as the distance grows, then falls to a couple inches low.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I bend my front knee and stick my butt out, Puts ya right in the proper alignment.

As far as pendulum sights go, my experience has been that the pendulum is dead on to its max distance, where as a fixed pin will not shoot that way. Close in, POI is a couple inches high, and gets back to the pin as the distance grows, then falls to a couple inches low.
So if I sight in a pendulum sight from a treestand at say 25 yards, then I will be dead on at 5, 10, 15 and 20?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Dominant Buck

So if I sight in a pendulum sight from a treestand at say 25 yards, then I will be dead on at 5, 10, 15 and 20?
That's assuming you're on fairly level ground and within a few close feet of the distance you sighted the thing in at. If you sight it in at 12 feet and then climb to 25, you're screwed.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Sparing you from the engineering equations behind this, what is needed is simple thought. Most was already said in the first few posts. Your only enemy is gravity. From the standgravity isnot fully your enemy since your shooting at a downward angle. It's natural to think line of sight, "wrong"! You need to think horizontal. This gets you close. Why only close? Back to gravity and from your elevated stand. Gravity is both your friend and enemy when compared to shooting on the ground. You have arrow drop do to horizontal shooting (ie gravity again)but on the other hand you gain acceleration do to your downward angle of shooting (ie gravity).

Bottomline, aim a little lower then you think you have to and dinner will be served.

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2006, 04:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

For what ? A quicky in the bathroom of a San Francisco bar ? j/k

Quick Reply: How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.