Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hog meat any good?  What about bear meat? >

Hog meat any good? What about bear meat?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hog meat any good? What about bear meat?

Old 05-21-2006, 08:34 AM

Default RE: Hog meat any good? What about bear meat?

i boiled mybear meat 3 times with fresh water. the 3rd time the water didn't foam. then made crockpot stew out of it that was out of this world good. i also tried frying a little piece up without boiling. was real good for 2 chews, then i had to spit it in the dog bowl. its all about getting that strong flavor out.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:12 AM

Default RE: Hog meat any good? What about bear meat?

If I can't kill it, cut it off the bone and grill it I don't want to eat it. All this special prep crap and cooking it in this and that drives me crazy. If you have to do all that it just tells me you are covering something up and it tastes like crap to begin with. I'll pass thank you very much. Road kill tastes alright if you cook it right, doesn't mean I'm jumping in line to eat it.

I agree with the above about the deer. In southern MI the deer eat pretty much what beef do, so the meat tastes pretty good. Up north sometimes they don't taste so great. And everytime I have had deer out west it was very gamey. If I had to base eating deer on that experience I would probably never eat it again unless I had to. However here in MI and Ohio deer meat tastes great.

I also agree it depends on how you treat the meat after the kill. I try to keep it as clean as possible and get it to a butcher as soon as possible ( I don't do my own meat). I was taught the less contact and the cleaner you keep the meat the better. I don't slice the deer open and split the pelvis when I field dress one. I make an incision just large enough to get my hands in and get the organs out. Then I close it back up when I drag the deer out. If I can't get to a processor that day I slit the throat and let it hang over night. I don't know if it's right or not, but that is how I was shown, and it seems to work for me. My deer always tastes great when I eat it. I don't do anything special to it. I either fry it in butter (back straps) or throw it on the grill with BBQ sauce and beer ( I make my own sauce).

I have had wild hog a few times and both times it was very good. Both times it was at a pig roast and it was slow cooked in a pit. And I don't know where it was killed, what type of pig it was or how big it was. All I know is there was plenty of it and I went back for seconds.

I have never had bear. I did have moose once, and that was so-so. I live by a cabela's, I could probably try just about anything if I wanted since they sell it in their cafeteria.

Just my opinions any way.

Paul