Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hog meat any good?  What about bear meat? >

Hog meat any good? What about bear meat?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hog meat any good? What about bear meat?

Old 05-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hog meat any good? What about bear meat?

In Texas we have mostly feral pigs they are descended from introductions of European wild hogs for sporting purposes, and from escaped domestic swine that have established feral populations. European wild hogs have several distinguishing characteristics that set them apart from domestic or feral hogs. Among these are brown to blackish brown color, with grizzled guard hairs, a mane of hair (8-16 cm long) running dorsally from the neck to the rump, a straight heavily tufted tail, and ears covered with hair. Characteristics of feral hogs are varied, depending upon the breed of the ancestral stock. European wild hogs and feral hogs interbreed readily, with traits of European wild hogs apparently being dominant, and are quite excellent to eat.

We also have Javelina hogs, they on the other hand make an excellent trophey, but not made for human consumption as they tend to taste worse than they smell... I know this by doing so..
Old 05-18-2006, 10:40 AM

I tend to agree with a few others when I say I'd rather eat $h#t sandwiches than eat bear again. Wild hog on the other hand is fantastic meat the smaller the hog the better IMO.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:29 PM

Last year I arrowed a large 400 lbs black razor back boar and couldn't wait to sink my teeth into it. I wouldn't use your mouth to eat it again. The smell cooking it would run you out of the house and on the weber was no better. I soaked in buttermilk for 24 hours and it was almost like smelling baby's diapers. I bet it would make great bear bait.
I'll find out about black bear this fall hopefully.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Ive taken four wild hogs in my life and the best eating one was the "barred bore I killed last year it was excelent and a big hog.the next best was the smallest hog I ever killed. I cooked the small one in wine carrots cellery Quarted onions and coaked the meat like any roast,Verry good eats.The others, large boars especially really strong .
Old 05-18-2006, 06:28 PM

Never tried hog. I have enjoyed bear meat though. I love the sausages and pepperetts. Just make sure you cook it well. Most bear have pork roundworm and if not properly cooked can cause illness and even death.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

Bear meat is good when cooked like we do it. Trim the fat and cook slow. Prissy girls are at these bear and beer parties and they like it too. The bear meat is gone before the beer and we are heavy drinkers.Bears are mainly vegetarians in the fall eating berries, nuts, and donuts. It is all about the technique of how you handle your meat
Old 05-18-2006, 08:43 PM

Never had bear but I've had hog once. Never again. It was tough and just tasted.......well.......like I would imagine harcore's arse would taste.....[&:]

Ironically, I would still like to shoot one w/ the UltraTec.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep, had pigs of the ferral variety on several occasions, ranged from delicious to um yea....i think it is once again mostly what the amimals diet was and how it is prepared, thats why there are so many opinions[&:]...cornfed whitetail is second to none, while you get one that lives in the northwoods and it's somewhat less so...too many christmas trees in the diet
Old 05-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know your a Texas hog hunter when your smoker is so big it has to be welded onto a trailer [8D]

Wild hog taste much better than store bought pig IMO.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Spike

properly cleaned and dressed, wild hog is delicious. never et bear( keep thinking of a really big coon) slaugther houses kill and clean their products swiftly and cool it asap. game is no different. Kurt.

Quick Reply: Hog meat any good? What about bear meat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.