Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cabelas Archery/New Gear >

Cabelas Archery/New Gear

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cabelas Archery/New Gear

Old 05-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Cabelas Archery/New Gear

I do notwant to take away from mobo's thread but would like to discuss some of the specific pieces of new gear I noticed in the catalog. Since the post is going to be extensive I thought it best to start a new thread.

Much as the ATA show is for dealers the arrival of the Cabelas spring archery catalog is for regular consumers. I knowalot of folkseagerly await its arrival to see all the new gear that has debuted this year. For many of us this is the first time we actually get to see what is out there and exactly how much it is going to lighten our wallets. Speaking of which, my hunting budget has dropped dramatically since thearrival of the newest member of our family back on Easter but I hope to still manage to save up a bit for one or two new pieces of gear before archery season. Now lets get to what caught my eye.....

Bows:

Parker: I see they came out with some new models and a "new" cam option called the "2-Plus". I cannot tell much because of the size of the of the picture but I see two split harnesses which would lead me to believe a revamped conventional dual cam system. Speeds are pretty impressive but then some of the brace heights are below 7 inches.

PSE: Their "Mach X" model looks unusual. The riser shape/design coupled with the oversized eccentrics definitely set it apart from the crowd.

Fred Bear: I am not sure if some of these models were out last year but I see they are using a new single cam design on the code. It looks almost like that perfectly round Mathews style single cam found on some of their models.

Diamond: The lineup looks extensive especially when you consider the advertised speeds.

Crossbows:

Tenpoint: I do not remember seeing their "6 point" series before but one of the two models in that lineup looks familiar and both are priced quite a bit less than their other models. Speaking of which......ouch!

Tuning Gear:

Apple's Super E-model bow press....less expensive but designed for parallel limb bows.

Easton's Handheld digital bow scale - measures both peak and hold weight but the price is a bit high IMO.

Bow Accessories:

Windstalker Cable Guard system- pretty heavily discussed on the net but finely made the catalog.

STS vibration reduction system - pretty heavily discussed on the net but finely made the catalog.

Sims stabilizer combinations.....Mini S-coil, Express and shortened Enhancer 2000-mini S-coil combo

Broadheads:

Rage Revolutionary Slip Cam: looks like a modified Rocky Mountain Snyper with a heck of a cutting diameter.

Rocket Titanium Ultimate: It isn't listed as new in the catalog but it is new to me.

Arrow Rests:

Air Rest: This one has been brought up on the net as well but the design is revolutionary enough to be worth mentioning. Magnets for support.

Sights:

G5 Optix: Great looking sights and 3 different models but pricey.

TruGlo: Big lineup and a sight in every price range. I think I may order some for the shop.

Cobra: Sidewinder Plus sight has an elevated linkage system which appears to allow you to adjust the sight over a great distance vertically. In other words you don't have to be as concerned about where the sight mounting holes are located on the bow's riser.

Scent Elimination Products:

Dead Down Wind: Enzyme Scent Prevention System...works by eliminating the bacteria that cause the odor...don't remember seeing this one either.

Game Cameras:

More models, style and designs that I could possibly imagine. I use the inexpensive Stealth but really should research more into these models.

Blinds:

Cabelas Full Draw2X and 5X models: Interesting design that ushes a camo mesh cut-out over the entire blind to help with shadows and depth.

Eastman outfitters: Pro 360, X5, LX5 models..... the Pro 360 looks strikingly familiar to the Double Bull Matrix 360 in that the center of the walls completely surrounding the blind can be adjusted to allow a shot from any direction.

Ameristep Signature Series: New, less shiny material is used with these models. They, too, all resemble the Double Matrix 360 in design.

Grizzly Series: Less expensive, no frills version of all of the Ameristep designs.

Big Game Treestands GroudMax series: Escape, Escape Pro and Escape DX....all are hub style of blinds with large shoot-through windows and Matrix camo. Multiple accessory luxury options/accessories.

Treestands:

Summit: Has their new "summit skin" foam core laminate to help reduce game-spooking noises.

Binoculars:

Nikon Monarchs: New 36 and 56 mm configurations for compactness and low light situations.

Cabelas Pine Ridge: Redesigned models look surprisingly familiar to discontinued Nikon Sporters though the objective diameter has changed.

Leupold Wind River Katmai: Phase coated prisms and new color coating.

Rangefinders:

Bushnell: Elite 1500 Arc modelcompensate for extreme uphill and downhill shots.

Leupold: RX series feature TRB...True Ballistic Range...which falls under the same concept as the Bushnell "arc" model.

I did not get to examine the new clothing selections but hope to shortly.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cabelas Archery/New Gear

I like the new turkey broadheads, 4" cutting diameter. I don't know if they are a brand new product, but I've never seen that kind before.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:31 PM

PA, you beat me to it. This was the next thread I was going to post.....Great minds think alike I suppose...

Anyway, the 2 that REALLY caught my eye are the Easton digital bow scale and the new mesh covered Full Draw blinds. That is a nifty idea. I just wonder if it flaps in the wind.

All in all, I really didn't see as much new stuff as I anticipated. Seems we are in a "lull" with new goodies. Most of the newbies I saw are just slight changes from the originals. I wonder if BassPro's will be much different.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't wait till I get mine. It always starts the shooting season for me. When the catalogs start arriving thats my signal to start getting back into practice and checking my gear out, So to be ready when the season in Oct. comes. Just 5 more months away. Mike
Old 05-03-2006, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is funny you mentioned the "lull" issue. I was thinking much the same thing to an extent. Some areas of accessories really seem to be stagnating while others seem to have some trully innovative products. I also just received the latest edition of ArrowTrade magazine and they go into some detail about the new products. There really is alot that goes into some of them. Those new G5 Outdoors sights for example are using a casted magnesium frame instead of a machined aluminum one. Great stuff!
Old 05-03-2006, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

One interesting Game Camera I saw coming out in June is a Cabelas 4.1 MP Digital Game Camera, from Moutrie. Selling for $149.00 Sure is a low price for that high of a MP. I'd be interested to see what the real trigger speed is, along with battery life.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:41 PM

I wonder if BassPro's will be much different.
Answer: Nope. Not at all. In fact, it's pretty much a carbon copy of the Cabelas catalog. Kinda disappointing, but I'm gonna keep looking it over anyway.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: kshunter

One interesting Game Camera I saw coming out in June is a Cabelas 4.1 MP Digital Game Camera, from Moutrie. Selling for $149.00 Sure is a low price for that high of a MP. I'd be interested to see what the real trigger speed is, along with battery life.
Yeah, I didn't see much new in the cam dept. I thought the new stuff comes out in Jun/July so we'll see.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will have to give them a call and request they send one soon.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a chance to review the first half so far and here's what stands out to me.

Targets- why do they cost so much? a bunch of foam strapped tight. I'm in need bad, but always have a hard time coughing up $$ for a danged ole target.

Broadheads- most are $30-35 for three
The Muzzy Max 4's are $10.00 more expensive than the regular 100 grains (per 6) - nothing like charging more for the latest & greatest- it's the same amount of material.
Rage slip cam vs. Rocky Mountain snyper- what's the difference? one list opening cut on impact & the other list cutting diameter but they look exactly the same, what's the angle?

The new larger sonic heads look more interesting now that they surpassed 1"

Other stuff-
Magnesium alloy nocks & inserts? the insert I can see, but metal nocks?

The Easton bow weight scale- my pro shop uses one & it works great.

NAP creeper peeper- who will be the first to try this & let us know if it works?

Trophy ridge- drop zone cord clamp- how does that little buuger work?

Sights- try as I might I couldn't find any with a .019" pin. I'm sure I overlooked one but all I'm seeing is .029"ers and the one I have is too big IMHO.

releases- forward trigger heads? Tru-ball & scott are offering them, why not go this route? I think I want one...

That's as far as I've gotten for now.

The new bows do look good, something for all budgets.

Quick Reply: Cabelas Archery/New Gear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.