Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ugliest Cresting Machine ever! >

Ugliest Cresting Machine ever!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ugliest Cresting Machine ever!

Old 03-08-2006, 10:41 AM

Default Ugliest Cresting Machine ever!

Okay, here's a few pics of my cresting machine and general disaster area of a workshop (5 square feet of my basement):

Note the drywall screws used to attach the motor to the shelf. The bracket was already attached to the motor, I just used my vice to straighten it out a little. The foam is for vibration dampening (simms? no!)

I could have done something interesting to mount the rheostat neatly, or I could just blast it into the edge of the shelf with a drywall screw!

And here's a wide angle view of the general disaster area I refer to as my workshop!

Old 03-08-2006, 10:42 AM

Default RE: Ugliest Cresting Machine ever!

Trembow,
I don't think it worked.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:50 AM

I just fixed it. i think! [&:]

Okay, and now for what (I think) really matters. What you can do with this mess.

I would like to thank Greg/MO for the inspiration at least and for all of the technical info on how to crest. I'd give him credit for the instructions on making the cresting machine....but....well....I don't think he'd want that credit looking at these pictures

Here's a pic of some of the first arrows I did:

Here's what I think I have decided on will be "my" crest. It's a bit simpler and I might modify it on my next set of arrows.
I think I've decided on white/red for the hen/cock vanes:

And here's another set I did for my daughter, she's six and just started archery lessons a few weeks ago:

Old 03-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Trembow - those arrows look great! I wish I had some time to crest my own arrows, but I do get the luxury of having a close friend who does them. If we can work it in our schedules, he'll let me help.

Here's a pic of the Gold Tips that he did - they were my hunting arrows this season (they'll be my hunting arrows again next season, too).

It's always cool to see everyone's crest patterns to get some ideas for the next set. Instead of the standard colored bands we used a sloppy left-to-right dabbing technique and made the green "splattered graffiti." It came out pretty neat. Try some irridescent paint, it comes out real nice also.

I'm interested to see everyone else's crestings, so post 'em if ya got 'em.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:26 AM

Cool! I really like the irridescent blue/green there! Makes it look sortof like pearl inlay or something.

Tres cool!
Old 03-08-2006, 12:08 PM

Trembow if it works is fine!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:46 PM

Ugly or not, that is some beautiful work there Trembow.

Ducsauce and you have been inspiring me with the pictures you guys have been posting.

I need to get my crestor built soon.

Keep up the great work and keep those pictures coming!

Bols
Old 03-08-2006, 01:50 PM

Glad to see that you finally got the beast posted. It's not that bad now. So how are your pinstripes turning out? I can see on your pic that the yellow and green arrow pinstripe is not the same width. Has that changed since your first set. I guess its not a big deal since it is a homemade crester but I was wanting mine to be the same all the way around. How is that guide block working out for you?

I think your arrows turned out really well. I like the pink ones.

Bols: Get that darn crestor built so you can put some pics on here too!
Old 03-08-2006, 02:31 PM

Thanks duc!
The yellow/green and orange striped ones were the first ones I tried, actually I've already scraped off the yellow/green and I'm painting that one up black/red like my newer ones.

My hands have never been that steady, but I've been having the same problem with uneven rotation that you have causing the stripes to be not so uniform.

I found that using the surge tube, I can tweak it to make a more clean rotation which makes for more uniform stripe widths.

My fine brush also got a bit gummed up and I've bent a few bristles so it's sort of a pain to get nice thin pinstripes now.

I gotta get some new brushes.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys!!! Long time no see!

Trembow, it looks good enough to get the job done; that's the important thing. I also like your idea of screwing the tape measure down to use in helping you align everything; I may have to steal that idea...

Glad to see the fruits of my labor in throwing up that thread; makes me happy that it was a worthwhile investment of my time!

Congrats, guys -- your arrows are really turning out beautiful. Cool ideas, quiksilver!

Quick Reply: Ugliest Cresting Machine ever!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.