Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thunderhead broadheads >

Thunderhead broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thunderhead broadheads

Old 02-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Thunderhead broadheads

What luck have ya'll had with these broadheads?
Old 02-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thunderhead broadheads

I shot them for years. They come fairly sharp and are a tuff head. Only reason I changed is just to try something else. You know how us archers can be, always trying out new stuff.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:33 PM

started out with them, changed for a while and went back to them. muzzy and thunderheads tie on most of the tests
Old 02-24-2006, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

very good heads. They are one of the "gold standards" which most bowhunters judge other broadheads.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used them since I started hunting (6 years ago). Every once in a while I think about changing, but then I remind myself, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

They seem to be constant from broadhead to broadhead and rather tough too. This past year I was able to tune them with my bow to shoot <5" 5 shot groups at 40 yds.

I really like them and will probably stick with them for a long time.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are my head of choice, and have killed a lot of deer for me.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some of your are going to hate me for this: But I won't ever use them again, I will try to make a long story short.

I'm friends (business friends) with a guy from ID who does a lot of Elk hunting. I asked him what broadheads her perfers for hunting elk and he said Muzzy. I asked what he thought about Thunderheads (that is what I used at the time) and he said "one of his hunting partners used to use them and once he shot an elk, hit it in the shoulder and it broke the broadhead. Since they are only supported or fastened by the tip and end of the blade, it don't take much to break them." I though, well I'm hunting deer not elk so I'll continue to use them.

BUTthat next fall, I was out deer hunting. And there was this squirrell that ran around my stand and was continuously setting off my game camera, so one day I just got out there and seen the squirrell 10 yards away. Since my hunt was just beginning, I nocked an arrow (a duller broadhead I use for if I have a shot at turkeys) and shot the squirrell. I hit it right in the back of the head and left it down there until dark when I was ready to go home. At dark I went and got my arrow and the squirrell, I looked at my broadhead and the EXACT SAME THING happening just from shooting the squirrell. A blade busted just from shooting the squirrell because it was only supported at the tip and the end. That is when I switched to Muzzy because a deer is tougher than a squirrell.

I have taken deer with Thunderheads, but I just thought I would share the story of why I switched.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

I used them for years until a friend had me try Wac'ems. I got tired of having to re-sight for T-heads when changing from field tips. And yes my bow is tuned properly.
I had my bow tuned up. Shot my field tips. Put on a wacem, shot right with the field tips. Took the same arrow, took off the wac'em, put on the T-head and it was consistently low left or left. They seem to plane or something.
they are a good head for sure, but I just found something better, for me.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:08 AM

I've used thunderhead 125s and 100s for about 20 years. Never ever had one break and that included one that was imbedded in a pigs skull. After the skull dried out I could plainly see the broadhead intact in the brain pan. It was in so deep I couldn't pull it out. I'll never switch. BTW, that 20 years includes about 30 deer and 40 pig kills.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

They have always worked for me and fly very accurately to my field points.
Krojeman, the only way I know that a thunderhead will break is if the blade(s) is not correctly installed in tip correctly or the back band is not properly tighten squarely over each blade. This happen to me before when I tried to insert my blades without my eye glasses on. I have taken an arrow with a thunderhead on it before and shot a junked car door out in the woods and the arrow penetrated half way through the door and the broadhead could still be used for hunting after properly installing new blades. I have had the old bear broadheads curl up on me when hitting the shoulderblade but I havent had any preformance problems with the thunderheads.

Bobby

Quick Reply: Thunderhead broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.