Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Peep Installation >

Peep Installation

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Peep Installation

Old 01-31-2006, 05:33 AM

Default Peep Installation

I had a new string and cables installed on my bow. I had written down how far the peep was from the nock. I could not find the information and after the peep was installed I found that it is about 1 inch lower then the previous peep. What will the effect be on my shooting. It seems that I am not as consistant. Is this the reason to sight in my pins are in the lower third of my sight housing? I need help I am fairly new to shooting a bow. I can sight the pins in but have to lower my head a little.

Thanks Bones
Old 01-31-2006, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Peep Installation

move the peep. You should be able to come to full draw with your eyes closed, and then open them and have the peep there in the right spot automatically. You should not be breaking your form to accomodate a weird placement of the peep.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, that will greatly change your arrow's impact point not necessarily your shooting. Lowering your peep will cause your arrows to be low. If your peep is served in, you'll need to remove the serving and slide your peep up....if it is not served, go ahead and slide it up...you might want to revisit the shop, I'd assume they'd fix it for free.....our shops would.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

And a lot of times, you can simply slide the servings up, move your peep up, then slide the servings back into place.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:52 AM

Gotta move the peep. If it wasn't tied in then you can probably slide it but you DO want to have it tied in.

Take it back to the shop, they most likely were or SHOULD HAVE been waiting for you to come in and have you draw so they could line up the peep.

If they tied it in without checking it while you draw, they need a spanking.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:05 PM

Guys thanks for the help. I was excited, I went home at lunchtime and was able to move the serving like greg suggested. Then after closing my eyes and finding my anchor point and opening my eyes I could not believe how far my peep was off. After adjusting the peep and sight and adjusting the pin twice I shot two consecutive groups that I was proud of. I had not shot that well in two weeks. If you can find the time explain all the things that could happen from not having your peep aligned right. Thanks for helping me and sharing your knowledge, you do not know how much it means to us who are just beginning.

Bones
Old 01-31-2006, 01:54 PM

Bones;
I'm also new to bowhunting, but one thing I've learned is that consistency is HUGE! If you're having to bend your head down everytime, then it's more likely you'll do something different one time. Plus it's just uncomfortable. I don't know anything about peep level/impact point stuff yet, but I thought I'd share what little I do know! Good luck man!!!!