Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

99% Let off bow

Old 01-31-2006, 10:13 AM

Default RE: 99% Let off bow

Quote: "Really REV, This is from outdoor life. Maybe Ihallucinated the commercial Saturday morning".

Hey Rev this ones for you buddy...I like his answer.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

That bow, by Concept Archery, has been on the market for at least two years now. However, they may now be choosing the advertise it more. One of the regulars down at the shop owned one but sold it as he couldn't become accustomed to the feeling of almost no weight at full draw.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well if it helps those with disabilities keep hunting then it's a good thing. I doubt the "masses" would buy it.
However being able-bodied, I don't know if someone with a disability serious enough to limit them from using
a 65-80% let-off , would be able to pull it back to the let-off point? I would doubt that "holding" is the issue it's probably the initial pull.
True. It's not the holding weight, it's the draw weight and the force draw curve. That's exactly why the idea of ultra high letoff being helpful to those with disabilities is a crock. The thing still has to be drawn and bows with very steep front and backslopes and flattoppedcurves on the graph are horrendous or impossibleto draw if you've got bad shoulders or such.

I think it's a gimmick designed to suck money out of the wallets of the clueless. And it kicks the door wide open for those who want to use crossbows in bow season. I vote bad.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's not the holding weight, it's the draw weight and the force draw curve
Very true didn't think of it that way.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:56 AM

Finally found a good link:
http://www.conceptarchery.com/concept99.htm

Outdoor life called it fast but clunky.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Site Bouncer

I believe Oneida's can also be "altered" to have a very high let off% Not quite 99% but I believe 90% is possible. There was one bow manufacturer, I think it was Firebrand Tech. than had a bow called theDiscovery and Colorado thatlooked just like the Oneida's but without the pullies. It could be adjusted to a very high let off as well. This is by no means a new theory.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:52 AM

It wouldn't do me much good anyway. In Iliinois, the minimum let-off is 65%. It is also illegal to use any kind of a lock or rest. A disables hunter is allowed to use a cross bow.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: bjanakos

It wouldn't do me much good anyway. In Iliinois, the minimum let-off is 65%. It is also illegal to use any kind of a lock or rest. A disables hunter is allowed to use a cross bow.
That's only to qualify for P&Y. If you don't care about that kinda stuff you can have a higher let off. The rules state that you can't use anything that is capable of "maintaining a draw or partially drawn position"

The Illinois DNR rule reads:

Lagal Archery Equipment:

"A long, recurve or compund bow with a minimum pull of 40 pounds at some point within a 28in draw. Minimum arrow length is 20 inches and broadheads may have fixed or expandable blades, but they must have a minimum 7/8 inch diameter when fully opened. Broadheads with fixed blades must be metal or flint-, chert-, or obsidian knapped; broadheads with expandable blades must be metal. A crossbow or any mechanical device capable of maintaining a drawn or partially drawn position on a bow without the hunter exerting full string tension is illegal. Permanently handicapped persons as defined by law (520 ILCS5/2.33), may apply to the DNR's Office of Law Enforcement for an exemption to allow the use of a crossbow. A physician's certification is required (see Disabled Outdoor Opportunities - Special Permits on page 27).All other bows and arrows including electronic tracking systems are illegal to use for deer hunting. Note: It is unlawful to have any firearm in possession while hunting deer with a bow and arrow."
Old 01-31-2006, 12:11 PM
Site Bouncer

Sorry double post
Old 01-31-2006, 12:17 PM

Like said before you should just shoot a crossbow with that much let-off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.